Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Bottle top & other convert to ca£h scemes?

Comments

• C_Ronaldo
    C_Ronaldo Posts: 4,732 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    hogshead wrote: »
    Wish everyone in Gloucester knew this as with the recent flood & bottled water system, thousands upon thousands will have been binned.

We were only told to hold onto the bottles for recycling ( something which I actively do already ).

same here, we've got alot of bottle tops and no where to put them apart from the bin
    No Links in Signature by site rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • At GHS Recycling in Portsmouth we run a scheme where we will take any amount of milk bottle tops and keep this on file and let you know every 2 months how your total is mounting up. We pay £25 for every 500 kgs on a pro rata basis (minimum payout is on 500 kilos)

At present we have 30 groups across the south of England who are collecting for 16 different charities.

It is a slow process BUT it is another way of being greener and it is something for nothing!! :T

www.ghsrecyclingltd.co.uk
    02392 670399
  • What about collecting other items for a local charity, stamps, foreign coins etc? I've recently become elected onto the committee of my DS's playgroup and want to go to the first meeting with a few fundraising ideas.

I've read that there's a company that collects foreign coins - I just need to work out if it will be worthwhile collecting those because we might not collect the full 10kg to be eligible for free collection and will have to pay the postage.
    Cos I don't shine if you don't shine.
  • The Stoneham Centre and the League of Friends, both of Moorgreen Hospital, West End, Southampton are collecting bottle tops to raise funds. We would welcome as many as we can get. Thanks

• There are places out there that will buy recyclable materials. Aluminium drinks cans can fetch £800 per ton. Bean cans £180 per ton (and other steel cans/tins)
    Ok, a ton of coke cans is (approx) 60,000 but if you had a local charity/good cause, with pubs and clubs donating, it might be easier than you think.
    There are also places that buy paper, plastics, metals, glass, cardboard. The problems finding them and then the storing/arranging delivery/uplift.
    www.letsrecycle.com and click on prices
  • Our school uses GHS Recycling in Portsmouth to recycle plastic milk bottle tops. They can be contacted at www.ghsrecyclingltd.co.uk. There are now several collection points at schools/charities around the country if you aren't in that area. I think that the only tops that can be recycled are the milk bottle tops, not squash bottles etc. You can nominate a charity to receive the money from your tops or they donate it to a local charity that they support. They even produce a newsletter called Bottle Top News which lists collection sites!
  • Lioux
    Lioux Posts: 2 Newbie
    Hello All - We are in the process of setting up a bottle top recycling scheme in Devon to collect plastic milk bottle tops which will be recycled into new products for the home and garden. We will be making donations to a nominated charity per 500kg collected, the charity is to be confirmed shortly. At present we will only be able to collect plastic milk bottle tops as these are all made of HDPE, we hope that in the future we may be able to take other types of tops too. If you have collected tops and are looking for somewhere to take them let us know and we will see if we can help. We will have a website up and running soon with all the details.
    [EMAIL="topsyrecycling@btconnect.com"]topsyrecycling@btconnect.com[/EMAIL]
  • abbecer
    abbecer Posts: 2,177 Forumite
    Evening all,

Have been saving milk carton tops to raise money for a wheelchair for a disabled child. They now have achieved target which is amazing. People keep giving them to me and I have 3 sackfulls!!! Is there anyone who could make use of these towards a worthy cause?? I'm in West/South Yorkshire so obviously somewhere not too far would be great. The price to post further afield would outweigh any gain.

Regards

Rebecca x
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'm going to merge you into our older thread about this. If the scheme in Portsmouth is still running that might be your answer ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • abbecer
    abbecer Posts: 2,177 Forumite
    I did look at that thread but Portsmouth is way too far to post them. Costs would be very high due to the sheer bulk of the sacks.

Thanks anyway
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport