Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Comments

• MCSAVE
    MCSAVE Posts: 54 Forumite
    This is what Thomas Cook have sent me. (This is after the previous fob off letter)!

Sandy Beech, That is similar to my reply from them, except for the part where they talk about reviewing your entire case etc. What reply did youu send them prior to this email?
  • This is what Thomas Cook have sent me. (This is after the previous fob off letter)! ...................

Sounds like a more refined fob off letter!

I am still waiting for the first fob off from TC even after sending a NBA.
    They have 2 weeks!
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left!

• Mark2spark
    Mark2spark Posts: 2,306 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 6 December 2012 at 11:47PM
    TC are blatantly ignoring what the ECJ have clarified. They appear to be claiming that regular servicing is all they need to do, and that breakdowns/failures of serviceable parts within the aircraft thus count as extraordinary circumstances.
    The ECJ recently made two rulings, and the pertaining parts are:
    Sturgeon judgment held that:

Article 5(3) of Regulation No 261/2004 must be interpreted as meaning that a technical problem in an aircraft which leads to the cancellation or delay of a flight is not covered by the concept of "extraordinary circumstances" within the meaning of that provision, unless that problem stems from events which, by their nature or origin, are not inherent in the normal exercise of the activity of the air carrier concerned and are beyond its actual control.
    Wallentin-Hermann v Alitalia held that:

Article 5(3) of Regulation (EC) No 261/2004... must be interpreted as meaning that a technical problem in an aircraft which leads to the cancellation of a flight is not covered by the concept of ‘extraordinary circumstances’ within the meaning of that provision, unless that problem stems from events which, by their nature or origin, are not inherent in the normal exercise of the activity of the air carrier concerned and are beyond its actual control.

The fact that an air carrier has complied with the minimum rules on maintenance of an aircraft cannot in itself suffice to establish that that carrier has taken ‘all reasonable measures’ within the meaning of Article 5(3) of Regulation No 261/2004 and, therefore, to relieve that carrier of its obligation to pay compensation provided for by Articles 5(1)(c) and 7(1) of that regulation.

So, replacing, lets say a broken oxygen mask in the cockpit (which happened to me in 2005 resulting in a 4 hr delay to Tenerife), *is* part of the 'control of the airline'.
    It's not something that they have to wait for Air Traffic Control to give the go-ahead on.
    Yet if the runway is shut due to snow/ice, then *yes* they DO have to wait for Air Traffic Control to open the runway up, and it's NOT something that is within the airlines control.

Hope this clarifies it for people, in my layman's way of understanding it :D
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    with so many potential claimants here, is it possible to set up a database to corroborate flight details and given reasons for delay?
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Mark2spark
    This is what Thomas Cook have sent me.

Aircraft can experience technical problems that are totally unforeseen, despite all reasonable attempts to ensure they are maintained to a good standard, in line with CAA regulations. These situations can be compared to the maintenance of your own car, which can break down at any time without prior warning, regardless of it's service history, and would be considered completely beyond the owners control.

Yes, but NOT an extraordinary circumstance.
  • Mark2spark
    JPears wrote: »
    with so many potential claimants here, is it possible to set up a database to corroborate flight details and given reasons for delay?

It's a great idea. The best way is to read the whole thread and contact by pm other posters with the same details as yourself. Then follow the thread on a daily basis and pm matching newcomers with the info you already have.
    Luckily for me, so far, no-one else matches my flight delay experience.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    So where ever possible, peeps should put flight number, airline and dates as a heading? That could be useful.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Mark2spark
    Yeah, a good few do JP, but not all :(
  • Hi, new here.

I have entered into email correspondence with Thomas Cook over the above delayed flight on the 17/10/2012.

I have received my first 'extraordinary circumstances' excuse reply. I am awaiting their clarification on what was extraordinary about not having the right part to fit to the aircraft when it was serviced.

I have also emailed the ECJ advising them of TC's apparent disregard for the rulings as I will look at the possibility of referring my complaint to them.

Any thoughts?

Paul
  • gmar96
    gmar96 Posts: 33 Forumite
    edited 7 December 2012 at 5:58AM
    Hi in 2008 OasisHongKong went into admin...I was one of the passengers that day stranded but at least in the UK. I would be right to assume that this ECJ rule doesn't apply here? i know it's a bit daft cos the airline's been bust for 5 years so who pays?... but just confirm to me please anyone.

Gman
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure