Mobiles.co.uk How to cancel Insurance and Gadget support?

neas
neas Posts: 3,801 Forumite
Hi all,

Just got wife new phone with mobiles.co.uk and hopefully got my cashback too :).

One problem though, is there was no way to remove the gaget and mobile insurance from the order (free for 1st month but we dont want it at all.

How do I go about cancelling the gadget support and mobile insurance? Is there a number to ring? Supposedly I have to cancel Direct Debit to stop mobile insurance... but how will i tell difference between gadget support, mobile insurance and my actual line rental?

Am sure someone else has gone through the same thing with mobiles.co.uk and used the correct process etc... So just wondering if i could get the exact protocol to follow so i dont get stung 10 quid at the end of 1st month :P.

Thanks all.

Comments

• jweb2k
    jweb2k Posts: 356 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 30 July 2009 at 8:25PM
    Who is the insurance with? Many of us on here will be able to point you in the right direction.

Your insurance should be a separate DD. Ring up and cancel though when you get the number, they're very persistent but after the 10th time of saying no they'll get the message. You'll get the usual spiel about a phone stolen every 4 seconds or whatever, just be assertive!!

And cancel early, even if they tell you "you've got it free for the month" etc, or try and reduce you down to just the £2.99 worthless policy....

Edit: I think it's http://www.m obi les.co.uk/insurance.html <<
  • Chrissybh0y
    Chrissybh0y Posts: 364 Forumite
    I recently bought a fone through mobiles.co.uk as well, about 1 day later i got a letter thorugh from that gadget mob, i just called them and cancelled it without any hassle :)
    Better to understand a little than to misunderstand a lot.
  • drbesty
    drbesty Posts: 967 Forumite
    I recently got a phone from mobiles.co.uk, got an email with both my policy numbers in, phoned up, cancelled em in 2 minutes and received confirmation in the post
  • neas
    Thanks guys will ring as soon as i get policy numebrs :) cheers
  • Mobiles.co.uk_company_representative
    Mobiles.co.uk_company_representative Posts: 659 Organisation Representative
    jweb2k wrote: »
    Your insurance should be a separate DD. Ring up and cancel though when you get the number, they're very persistent but after the 10th time of saying no they'll get the message. You'll get the usual spiel about a phone stolen every 4 seconds or whatever, just be assertive!!

And cancel early, even if they tell you "you've got it free for the month" etc, or try and reduce you down to just the £2.99 worthless policy....

Full information should come through the post for both within a couple of days.

Top tip - certainly for ourselves, and probably for most, cancelling the relevant DD with your bank also cancels your policies and saves you the hassle of the phone calls. According to the Direct Debit Guarantee (i.e. to be covered by it) you should also notify the companies involved by writing that you have done this - an email is of course suitable.

Just be careful to cancel the correct Direct Debits, as e.g. Orange, O2 and 3 all charge for non-DD billing.

HTH,
    Ben
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Mobiles.co.uk. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • neas
    thanks mobiles.co.uk

Might consider the insurance for it but to be honest its 5.99 or 6.99 insurance for a phone thats worth 30-40 quid :P so not worth it really hehe.

And gadget support is good is i wasnt a engineer by trade... so gadgets and gizmos are my thing.

Will ring them up and also cancel the DD if i see them appear :P
  • A few notes from mobiles.co.uk/Insurance_FAQ.pdf
    "There is an excess of £25 on each and every claim except where your phone is connected to a 3G Network, where the excess is £50 on each and every claim."

"this insurance does not cover"
    -"breakdown which occurs during the manufacturer’s warranty period"
    -"loss of the phone, consequential loss"

Also theft will not be covered if the phone was visible in your car, your car was unlocked, your house was unlocked or if no violence or threat of violence was used (i.e. will not cover pick-pockets).

Finally:

"You have a right to cancel the insurance by giving written notice of cancellation within 14 days of the receipt of confirmation of insurance cover to the Citymain Administrators Limited (“the Administrator”) at P O Box 116 Ryde PO33 2WX quoting your mobile phone number."
    Hutchinsfairy,

Those terms relate to our old insurance cover, which was with Citymain. The current cover, arrange via Phonecare, has different terms (also available from the site).

Regards,
    I am the official company representative of Mobiles.co.uk. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • i honestly cant see how this is legal, surely it should be an opt in, not a "we will put it on and you can cancel it if you dont want it" scam. Grrr, i wouldn't mind ordering a phone with them but stuff like this puts me off!
    Hi there,

Both insurance and a gadget helpline (especially given the rise of smartphones) we feel to be useful services, and both have a 30 day initial period that is free of charge to see if you agree. Cancelling both services is straight-forward and if done within the 30 days means you won't pay a penny, but will still have the peace of mind this coverage brings.

Thanks for the feedback, it does make a difference.

Regards,
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure