PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cold Washing your Laundry

Comments

• Angela
    Angela Posts: 1,533 Forumite
    Test with cold wash results.

Very successful,didnt need to do an extra rinse.
    Will see how it feels tomorrow during wearing.
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    What about bedsheets, I thought you have to wash them at 60degrees to kill the dustmite stuff, like the socks if you have athletes foot etc

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 1,533 Forumite
    I never knew that about bed linen.
    I must have a severe case of dust mites as I usually only wash at 40 degrees!!!!

My test wash is all dry now and there is definately no smell of the washing liquid.

Obviously this cold wash will not be suitable for all your washing,but I think we wash everything so much nowadays that it will be fine for socks,t shirts etc.

What with this and cutting down on boiling my kettle every half hour,scottish power will be round to see if I have bypassed their metre.
  • tru
    tru Posts: 9,138 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Thanks Angela ;D
    Bulletproof
  • Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi Guys

I'm a new poster to this site but have been lurking around for months. Finally time to make my contribution!

I have been cold washing most of my laundry for years! I have a inexpensive Hotpoint which has a cold wash option but is connected to both hot & cold. I do everything except very heavily soiled stuff on a cold wash, including linen & hubbys sweaty work clothes & everything comes out sparkling clean & fresh. I use the minimum washing powder I can get away with & add 2 capfuls of white vinegar to the softner cycle which not only softens clothes (yes, really) , it also deodorises & kills bacteria, as well as making sure my machine doesn't clog up with limescale. Much cheaper & freindlier to the enviroment plus the added bonus that neither of us are allergic to the vinegar, as we are to many softeners. Vinegar is a natuaral antiseptic & can be used on loads of things & the smell disapears when it dries so you don't go around reeking like a fish & chip shop!

The agitation of the water acts as the biggest soil remover in a washing machine & the vinegar gives the antiseptic properties to kill the harmful germs.

I only use a hot wash if something is heavily stained, although often I can avoid this by soaking the item in hot water & a stain remover first.

I would definately recommend it if you have a cold water option, or at least dropping to the lowest temp your machine offers.
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • VickyA_2
    VickyA_2 Posts: 4,533 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    The majority of my washing is done at 40 degrees. Works a treat, and I only put one tablet into the wash!

Towels and bedsheets get washed at 60 degrees though. Got to get rid of all those dustmites.........
    Sealed Pot Challenge #021 #8 975.71 #9 £881.44 #10 £961.13 #11 £782.13 #12 £741.83 #13 £2135.22 #14 £895.53 #15 £1240.40 #16 £1805.87 declared
  • filigree_2
    filigree_2 Posts: 1,025 Forumite
    Slightly off topic but this thread reminded me of something.

My Mum used to live in a housing block where she had unlimited hot water included in the rent. She really wanted a machine that would just take in "free" hot water and wash with that, but all she could find was a machine that filled with cold and heated the water with expensive electricity :-/

I reckon a machine that doesn't heat the water would be a real boon to anyone who gets their water for free (some council housing blocks have communal boilers).

Mind you, if I had bottomless hot water I'd probably do the washing in the bath!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    When i washed with cold water, the clothes came out with undisolved powder all over them and the whites came out a dismal shade of grey.
  • cathy_3
    cathy_3 Posts: 1,500 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    disolve your powder in some hot water in a jug then pour it into the machine
    add some borax that will bring everythng up nice and clean

then about once a month give your whites a zap on the hot wash
  • franky
    franky Posts: 641 Forumite
    what a great thread I could save loads
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts