jSA CHRISTMAS 2012 PAYMENTS

I signed on today and get paid this Friday , I was told I get paid on the 21st December for the 28th Dec 2012 payment by the advisor is this true. Could you let me know please . :j

Comments

• yes i would imagine so
  • kmilner wrote: »
    I signed on today and get paid this Friday , I was told I get paid on the 21st December for the 28th Dec 2012 payment by the advisor is this true. Could you let me know please . :j

h t t p : / / w w w . g o v . u k / h o w - t o - h a v e - y o u r - b e n e f i t s - p a i d

Remove the spaces! Hope this helps! ;)
    Sorry, I had to break it up as I'm not allowed to post links.
  • amydaz
    amydaz Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 11 December 2012 at 6:40PM
    Mine is due on the 27th dec and I'm hoping I get It on 21st lol,I got told nothing just to come back on the 7th jan,as the 27th dec isn't a bank hol I'm kinda worried tha I willl skint for xmas :(

gutted just checked that link and my payment date isn't on there so I'm guessing I will receive it the 27th and not the 21st, I get paid thurs 13th and all that is goin on bills I could cry right now
  • If the payment goes into your bank account on the 21st Dec it will not clear until the 28th Dec as it takes 3 working days, i was told this today by my adviser when i asked as i'm also due to sign on on 25th with a payment due on 28th, so you wont have the money before Christmas im afraid.
  • ady_j
    ady_j Posts: 102 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Think you may have misunderstood or your advisor is a tool.

Banks tend not to need government cash transfers to 'clear'.
    Benefit payment due date
    Actual payment/receipt date
    24 December 2012
    21 December 2012
    25 December 2012 (Christmas Day)----21 December 2012
    26 December 2012 (Boxing Day)
    21 December 2012
    1 January 2013 (New Year’s Day)
    31 December 2012
    2 January 2013 (Scotland only)
    31 December 2012
    https://www.gov.uk/how-to-have-your-benefits-paid
  • Well he is most certainly a tool, but if the banks don't need government transfers to clear whats with the whole sign on, on one day and get the money in the bank 3 working days later about then, why does it not go straight in on the same/next day?

I'm not so clever with this benefit thing, i'm a newbie to it all.
  • kmilner wrote: »

Because the job centre will be closed from Monday 24th December until 7th January all payments for this 2 week gap will be received early so people don't struggle during what's supposed to be the festive time of the year.

so yes you will recieve your payment on 21st december instead
    of 2nd January as the job centre will be closed and this is for your signing on 28th december but you will not be recieving any payments after that until 16th January so spend it as normal or pay your bills in advance so when you get that long gap between 21st December and 16th January the payment your recieving well in advance would be paying this 3 week gap

so don't go out spending it as if it's a christmas bonus it has to last you 3 weeks and since you got paid this week it balances out with your usual payments
    :mad: Stuck on the Work programme and getting more and more stressed every day :(
  • Russe11
    Russe11 Posts: 1,198 Forumite
    Well he is most certainly a tool, but if the banks don't need government transfers to clear whats with the whole sign on, on one day and get the money in the bank 3 working days later about then, why does it not go straight in on the same/next day?

I'm not so clever with this benefit thing, i'm a newbie to it all.

I thought the 3 days was to do with the payment from the issuing bank, clearing to the customer account clearing on the day after its recieved.

Faster payments should mean small payments clear instantly, but this does not happen i'll assume because of the sheer volume of funds being moved everyday for benefits, being all one way traffic the clearing is never going to be balanced.

maybe someone could let us know who is "in the know"
  • Only the dates listed are affected. Last year I was due a payment on the 27th and hoped to get it early only for it to arrive on the 27th. The DWP release BACS payments (hence the three days to "clear") a day or two early, accounting for banks being closed over Xmas, so unless your payment date is listed, it should appear in on your account on your normal payment date.

They only use Faster Payments (in which case it's a 2hr wait) when errors have occurred.
  • Morglin
    Morglin Posts: 15,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I recieve (and have done for years) IB/DLA paid through my bank (NatWest).

My husband recieves a state pension.

The payment dates are always early on Christmas/New Year (this dates back to payment books, when pensions etc., could be cashed early this time of year).

The bank clear the payment the day it actually 'hits' the account.

As I say, this is with NatWest, but I would imagine all banks work the same.

Lin :)
    You can tell a lot about a woman by her hands..........for instance, if they are placed around your throat, she's probably slightly upset. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure