Bank Charges Success Stories II

Comments

• Barclays Bank
    Amount Claimed: £3175
    Amount Repayed £2813

Sent 1st Letter at the end of March, had nothing from the bank apart from the statutory "we will look into it for you" letter. Persevered and followed the process even claiming through the County Court. Received a letter from the bank last week stating that even though they did not agree with my complaint that they would offer me £2813. I Took it, as Martin says, it is money that you thought you would never see again and with the two recent court cases I decided it was not worth taking the risk. I am currently helping a friend pursue her claim. I am really looking forward to my holiday on Barclays this year. Thanks Martin :T
  • Nawest Bank
    Claimed £1232
    Reclaimed £992

Did threaten court action, which cost me £120, but they transferred the money into my account this morning, after I'd accepted by post.

To be honest, if some said this time last year that you can have £1000 back from your bank, I would have taken it.

:T :beer:
  • bank : Halifax
    Amount Owed :£2806
    Amount Paid :£2894
    I had to issue them with a court summons before recieving £1157.06 deposited into my account. I decided to telephone them to see if this payment was from them.
    Guess what it was, told them still £1768 short so court summons still stands unless we can reach an agreement now over the phone. Was told he can agree only £2500 now ,Which I declined, It was then he said Ill go and see if I can get clearance from my manager, Kept hanging on the phone for 2 mins, came back and said he can offer me now £2894 in full and final payment if I stop the court process, of which I duly accepted.
    So the moral of the story is DONT GIVE IN TO THEM:j
  • I claimed in March for £4600, after they had lost my application, then admtted they hadnt lost it, they had the wrong first initial. Today I recieved £3950.
    Dont lose heart stick with it, you will succeed.:j :j
  • Bank: NatWest

Claim: £1215 plus interest

Payout: £1215

Stage reached: court proceedings

A long haul, and this is just the smaller of two claims I'm making. I ended up going via MCOL, which NatWest first acknowledged, then defended, which meant heading for the courtroom. But about a week after NatWest's solicitors entered a defence, this offer came for the smaller of the two cases, and I've decided to accept rather than push for interest as well, leaving me with more time and energy to devote to the larger claim (more than three times as much) which they are also defending.

I called their Chatham office this afternoon to confirm the details, and they tell me that the money will be in my account within 10-14 days.

Right, next...
  • mazzxtc
    mazzxtc Posts: 5 Forumite
    Started the process in Feb 2007 with Abbey National
    Claimed: 4576.73 (with interest & costs)
    Repaid: 4000.00
    Offer letter received after I sent them a letter saying was willing to settle out of court. First offered £3430.00 but phoned up and said they lowest I would take is £4000.00. they accepted this without negotiation. Really happy cos I was getting fed up with the wait and the stance taking from both sides.
    they are actually OK to talk to, and seem to want tis whole claim thing over and done with. i suggest that if you want to settle before court, try make a settlement soon after you receive their defence.
  • Grantor
    Grantor Posts: 4 Newbie
    Bank: Capital One
    Amount Reclaimed: £40
    Amount they paid: £16
    The story: I just called them up at work - I've only had the card 3 years and went over my limit a couple times about 2 1/2 years ago; got stung with the standard £20 fee.

Called up Capital One querying this, they agreed there and then to reimburse the difference between the £20 fee and the £12 requested by the OFT.

If I was claiming more than about £100 I'd have gone down the line of requesting statements and following Martin's (excellent) reclaim procedure. It's only £40 though, and I can't be bothered with the aggro, so £16 will do me.

I'm claiming £1,200 back from Natwest though, and that's an entirely different story....! More to follow on that one in due course.

Must just take time to thank Martin, and, indeed, all the regular contributors who post on here, for the concise, comprehensive and friendly advice provided on this site.

Cheers

Grantor
  • :j
    Success. Although I havn't got it in my grubby little mit yet, Morgan Stanley have coughed for my charges and interest after I rejected their offer and threatened court action. They have now offered the full amount which I have accepted. Got letters in with MBNA and Capital One rejecting offers so here's hoping a similar success

Sanmiguel
  • Hooray!!

First time post

I was successful this week with claiming back £602 from HSBC which is the whole of what I have been charged over the last six years.

A huge thank you to Martin and to all the contributor of this site.

Another win for the consumer.

Many many thanks

Zoe
  • WROTE TO RBS BACK IN MARCH REQUESTING CHARGES OF £379 AND £384:beer: ;) AFTER TWO LETTERS ASKING FOR MY CHARGES BACK THEY SENT A LETTER IN APRIL SAYING THEY HAD RECIEVED MY LETTER FOR THE CHARGES AND WILL GET IN TOUCH WITHIN 8 WEEKS WITH AN OFFER I HAVE NOW RECIEVED AN OFFER FOR THE FULL AMOUNT AT THE START OF THIS I WAS SO FRIGHTENED TO DO THIS BUT I CANNOT BELIEVE HOW EASY IT WAS :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure