early retirement & job seekers allowance

Hello there

My husband is taking early retirement at age 56 from the civil service. He will get a lump sum and an annual pension.

He will sign on the dole to get his NI contributions paid until state pension age, but will he get jobseekers allowance and will he be able to claim for me, his wife. He has worked for 38 years.

Thank you

Maypole

Comments

• nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    The occupational pension will probably wipe out the JSA as I understand it's means tested now.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • clear_blu
    clear_blu Posts: 140 Forumite
    maypole wrote:
    He will sign on the dole to get his NI contributions paid until state pension age.

From age 60 he will receive credit for NI contributions without signing on.........bit extra 'lie in' for him..........:D
    I have retired from a career in Financial Services........Thank God. Any advice given may be as a result of senile dementia so dont take it too seriously.......;)
  • maypole
    maypole Posts: 1,816 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hello there

Thank you nearlyrich, not such good news!

Thank you Clear_ Blu, that is better news!

Best wishes from maypole.
  • Bossyboots
    Bossyboots Posts: 6,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    There is information here http://www.direct.gov.uk/Bfsl1/BenefitsAndFinancialSupport/BenefitsAndFinancialSupportArticles/fs/en?CONTENT_ID=10018757&chk=A1h/Ux on JSA and the figures. If I have understood it correctly, he may get contribution based JSA but I agree that his pension will take him out of the ambit of income-based JSA which is the one that appears to be means tested.
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    I was going off my OH's experiencewhen he took early retirement with a company pension, I am still working but even without any info about my earnings he didn't qualify for any JSA.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • Bossyboots
    Bossyboots Posts: 6,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    nearlyrich wrote:
    I was going off my OH's experiencewhen he took early retirement with a company pension, I am still working but even without any info about my earnings he didn't qualify for any JSA.

You may be right though and I may have misunderstood it. As far as I could see it only mentions income being relevant under the heading of income-based JSA but it is not particularly well written so I am not entirely sure. No doubt someone will be on the forums later who can clarify.
  • Optimist
    Optimist Posts: 4,556 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    maypole wrote:
    Hello there

My husband is taking early retirement at age 56 from the civil service. He will get a lump sum and an annual pension.

He will sign on the dole to get his NI contributions paid until state pension age, but will he get jobseekers allowance and will he be able to claim for me, his wife. He has worked for 38 years.

Thank you

Maypole

I thanked you and intended to hit the quote button.Doh!

From personal experience I think you will find you get no JSA at all. I would also suggest you get a pension forecast from http://www.thepensionservice.gov.uk/ You will possibly find that taking into account the credit from 60 your husband will have sufficient credit and will have no need to sign on at all. Also note that the government are planning on putting new laws into place that only require 30 years contributions to be eligible for the basic state pension. Currently 39 for women and 44 for men.
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

Bertrand Russell. British author, mathematician, & philosopher (1872 - 1970)
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Optimist wrote:
    I thanked you and intended to hit the quote button.Doh!

From personal experience I think you will find you get no JSA at all. I would also suggest you get a pension forecast from http://www.thepensionservice.gov.uk/ You will possibly find that taking into account the credit from 60 your husband will have sufficient credit and will have no need to sign on at all. Also note that the government are planning on putting new laws into place that only require 30 years contributions to be eligible for the basic state pension. Currently 39 for women and 44 for men.

If this new laws comes into being and you have sufficient contributions could this mean then you would not pay any more NI contributions.
  • maypole
    maypole Posts: 1,816 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hello there

Thank you all for your excellent replies, this is a great site for getting info. I will check with the DWP

Best wishes

Maypole
  • Does say in the small print,on Jobseekers allowance.

"Your payments might be reduced if you're getting a pension of more than £50 a week, or delayed if you're getting final payments from your last job."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure