'Discos grab-bag crisps calorie con – food labelling must improve' blog discussion

2»

Comments

• stephen77
    stephen77 Posts: 10,342
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I disagree.
    The vast majority of people who buy 500ml bottles of drink would drink it themselves as one portion.
    It's the size of drink that's included in the meal deal in Boots and other places. Why would you get a sandwich for one person, a snack for one person and a drink for two people?

some portions sizes will be consistent with e.g. 2 litre version of coke etc. With a 2 litre bottle of coke they will assume the average person will then drink 250ml a time.
    I have not checked the portion size on coke so could be wrong.

Also when coke sell the bottle. They will not change the label if they think its going to boots meal deal or the garage forecourt.

WIth garage forecourt they can often sell a bottle and people will share a bottle with there other half. So 250ml can be relevant.
  • StacFace
    StacFace Posts: 370
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I disagree.
    The vast majority of people who buy 500ml bottles of drink would drink it themselves as one portion.
    It's the size of drink that's included in the meal deal in Boots and other places. Why would you get a sandwich for one person, a snack for one person and a drink for two people?

I've never drank a 500ml bottle of drink in one go and have never seen anyone else do it either. I've always drank around half of it with my lunch then saved the other half to drink over the rest of the afternoon. My parents, sisters, other family members and friends have always done the same when I've been out with them and at college & uni there were loads of people with half-full bottles of 500ml drinks on the desk in the afternoons.

I've always seen a meal deal as buying some lunch, a snack and a drink that will last you the afternoon too. Surely that's why 500ml is the smallest of the bottle sizes rather than the largest of the cans?
  • monyman
    monyman Posts: 11 Forumite
    Does seem a bit rude tbh but the real issue with Discos is that they are disgusting to eat :(
  • pink_princess
    pink_princess Posts: 13,581 Forumite
    I'm more concerned that labels don't even list the correct ingredients.
    Life is short, smile while you still have teeth :D
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Maybe I'm in the (piggy) minority when it comes to 500ml drinks, then!

Maybe this discussion demonstrates that the concept of a typical portion size is flawed.
  • N1AK
    N1AK Posts: 2,903
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    matty_art wrote: »
    The worst culprit here is Twix, which IIRC has the information for each individual biscuit...

Which apparently is what Martin wants them to be legislated or otherwise forced to do (label biscuits per biscuit). The problem with any kind of regulation of pack sizes is that not everyone is the same and actually doing it would become a nightmare.

Is a 60g bag of crisps 1 portion, 80g? 100g? 150? 200g?

Why label per biscuit if some biscuits are half the size of others. Is there any evidence to suggest that this better informs people? All it'd encourage is companies to put more, smaller, biscuits into a pack and customers to buy smaller, potentially less healthy biscuits in packs.

Perhaps Martin would like to set up a voluntary committee that will define the standard portion size for all foods and then seek a commitment from food manufacturers to label accordingly?
    Having a signature removed for mentioning the removal of a previous signature. Blackwhite bellyfeel double plus good...
  • stephen77
    stephen77 Posts: 10,342
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    as said above labelling will change in 2014.

Its also going to more standard across the EU as well.

So there will still be things that confuse people at first, but in the long term should be better as when you go on your holidays it will be the same.
    Its been desinged to allow people to more easily identify nutritional values of products etc.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,671
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    zerog wrote: »
    Smiths is a newsagent and bookstore, so it's perfectly reasonable to sell only small bags of crisps.

'Grab bags' aren't the standard small packets - they're considerably bigger (two portions worth ;-) !)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure