9.5kw or 10.5kw shower?

Can anyone tell me whether it's worth paying the extra money for a 10.5kw electric shower, or will a 9.5kw be OK - I've got an 8.5kw at the moment which needs replacing and don't know whether the extra money is worth spending.

Thanks
Vikki

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,288
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    the cabling + fuses for the existing one may not support the higher rated shower anyway
    I'm a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Shopping and Freebies, Phones and TV and Over 50s boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing . All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Sooler
    Sooler Posts: 3,108
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    As a 8.5 KW one had been sufficient we replaced ours with a 9.5 KW.

We did have to have the wiring upgraded as the existing electrical cable (4mm) was too small for current requirements (8mm I think) and you also have to have a RCD circuit breaker device if you don't have a RCD fusebox.
  • No electric shower is that good. I wouldn't of thought you would notice a difference. Depending on what kind of plunbing system you have havr you thought of a power shower?
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • mr_fishbulb
    mr_fishbulb Posts: 5,224
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    What's the difference between an electric shower and a power shower?
  • What's the difference between an electric shower and a power shower?
    Electric uses the pressure in the supply pipe, which if from loft tank can be low and power shower is pump assisted.
    Named after my cat, picture coming shortly
  • jennifernil
    jennifernil Posts: 5,580
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    What type of hot water system do you have? These electric showers are not that great, get it changed to run off "proper" hot water if you can. If you have a combi boiler you cannot have a "power shower", but usually the pressure is so good you would not need one. We recently replaced our daughter's electric shower with a thermostatic one through the bath mixer, it is so powerful the water bounces out of the bath!!!!! ( she has a combi boiler)
  • Easiest and cheapest thing for you to do is to replace it with another electric one, though a thermostatic one off the hot water is much better.

If you go for 10.5kW I would think that you will need 10mm² cable and I doubt that you will have this, I would be almost certain that you have 6mm².

If you were happy with the 8.5kW one just go for the 9.5kW.
    Only Sheep Need A Shepherd
  • vikkic
    vikkic Posts: 19 Forumite
    My cold water comes straight from the mains rather than stored in a tank.

I'm sorry to be thick, but other than a 10kw shower heating the water quicker(??) what are the benefits? ie. what does it do that a 8.5kw or 9.5kw doesn't?

Cheers
    Vikki
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,288
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    does nothing apart from heat the water quicker like you say

I've got a 7kw one downstairs and an 8.5kw upstairs abd I don't really notice the difference once you have set the temperature to how you like it

if it's a Triton shower they have a guide that shows you the equivalent modern model on their web site, my new one went straight back on the old plumbing, just had to re-align the cable slightly
    I'm a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Shopping and Freebies, Phones and TV and Over 50s boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing . All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • dadrock
    dadrock Posts: 113 Forumite
    An electric shower should always be from the Mains pipe and not gravity-fed from a tank in the attic.

Upgrade your cable to 10mm and consider a 9.8kw one?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure