dewalt or makita cordless , whats the best make to buy?

hi going to move into a new house soon so i will have lot sof little diy jobs to do. I wated to spend a bit of money this time rather than getting a challenge dril as they have no power.

I've just seen this baby at screwfix and looks good value for money and i ve heard that its a brand to be trusted when it comes to drills etc.

what do people think, i;ve heard bosch make good drills also.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/73596/Power-Tools/Cordless-Drills/Dewalt-DC100KA-GB-18V-Cordless-Combi-Drill;jsessionid=3CSUAJVMFF1E2CSTHZPCFEY?ts=82086
Listen to what people say, but watch what people what people do!!

Comments

• amarg
    amarg Posts: 216 Forumite
    That drill should be ok, but you have just missed a good deal. Screwfix had an 18v Hitachi, with three batteries and torch, charger and case for £77 a few weeks back.

Then they had a special offer where if you spent £400 you got the above mentioned hitachi drill for free. If you are moving in a new house I am sure you could of spent £400 even on gift vouchers for future use and you could of got the drill for free.

Might be worth holding out to see if they have any more offers like this on?

I also keep getting 10% discount codes sent to my email address from screwfix and so watch out for them!
  • leveller2911
    leveller2911 Posts: 8,061 Forumite
    edited 10 April 2009 at 7:06PM
    It all depends on whether you are using it for DIY or trade work .

Ni Cad batteries don't like not being used regularly as they deplete charge,if left in a discharged state they won't last long.It is better to get Lithium Ion batteries as they can be trickle charged(boosted up) where as Ni cads must be run down and then charged fully as they can develop a "memory" and then only hold a partial charge.
    Next look at the Amp Hours 1.3 amp hrs means that if you pull the trigger (without drilling into anything) it will run for 1.3 hrs if you get a 2.8 amp hrs it will run for 2.8 hours,its only important if time is important.

I have a joinery workshop,supply and fit and have had De Walt before but in my opinion they have taken their eye off the ball and marketing clothing ranges (boots,holsters,trousars etc) Makita are a much better tool and will last for years..
    Just my opinion go for MAKITA ......Hitachi are better than De Walt try www.dm-tools.co.uk they are good to deal with and you sometimes get freebies, I brought a Makita cordless and received a makita holster free ..
  • stolt
    stolt Posts: 2,865 Forumite
    thanks for both posters above, well i have some stuff stored away from when we had a house before, (currently renting) but i had a bosch, left it in its case and it wont charge at all so just need a decent drill for now. its only going to be hanging pictures and shelves up etc so nothing too tiring.
  • Locknut
    Locknut Posts: 436 Forumite
    I would agree with the other poster Makita IMO are far superior I use mine most days and the previous one I have lasted about 10 years. DeWalt have taken there aye off the ball since going for the more public sector rather than trade.
  • greyteam1959
    greyteam1959 Posts: 4,576 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    That Dewalt has no hammer drill facility........if you are hanging pictures etc you really need it.
    Used Makitas for 20 years now excellent products but a tad more expensive.....
  • olias
    olias Posts: 3,588 Forumite
    mervyn11 wrote: »
    That Dewalt has no hammer drill facility........if you are hanging pictures etc you really need it.
    Used Makitas for 20 years now excellent products but a tad more expensive.....

'You cannot go wrong with this exceptional value Powerful Combi for hammer drilling, drilling and screwdriving applications. Supplied with carry case, 1hr Charger and 2 batteries.'

You obviously can't read!!!!!!!!

Olias
  • downs523
    downs523 Posts: 866 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    def get a makita lxt li-ion cordless combi drill, i got one from ebay for £135
    love it, so powerful and batteries last 3x longer than normal ones, charges in 22 mins too
  • stolt
    thanks for all the replies, it seems makita wins the day the, so i'll have a look around to see if i can find a god deal on a makita drill.

thanks
  • stolt
  • greyteam1959
    greyteam1959 Posts: 4,576 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    olias wrote: »
    'You cannot go wrong with this exceptional value Powerful Combi for hammer drilling, drilling and screwdriving applications. Supplied with carry case, 1hr Charger and 2 batteries.'

You obviously can't read!!!!!!!!

Olias

And although you can read and I can't you are really quite rude !!!!!!!!!
    No need for it..........
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport