How long does it take to get a tax rebate?

124»

Comments

• Cheers chrisbur for your help :D
  • pesty88
    pesty88 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Hi,

I had the same trouble with the P45/46 thing if you contact your companies HR they should have a unique reference number for your company, then call Inland Revenue on 0845 366 7830 and quote this number along with your national insurance number. They can change your tax code there and then and will let your company know, you made need to chase your HR though to ensure they change it on your payslip.

Hope this helps
    J
  • allan2006
    allan2006 Posts: 264
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    im owed a tax refund for 2007-2008 tax year and i was hoping that hmrc would do the math and send me a cheque.

Surely they check what individuals have paid.......Ive had this before as agency work seams to mess up and you end up on m1 or emergency at some point in the year.

surely they must of checked and archived that year by now, do you seriously have to write, and ask to get my money back??
  • Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,369
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The theory is you don't ...... the practise is that you certainly need to take the initiative, otherwise it's unlikely to happen. Write to them (current office you're with) with as much detail as you have for that year.
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • Hi all,

I wanted to ask a few questions about tax refund… In the current tax year I worked just for 10 weeks and earned about 6000 pounds. Moreover, I paid about 600 pounds of tax. As I am not going to work any more till the new tax year and I haven’t reached my personal allowance of ~6000 pounds, I should be able to get a tax refund. Previously, some company did it for me and now I don’t want to pay anyone and will try to do it by myself…

I have filled in a P50 form and will send it together with pages 2 & 3 of my P45.

1. To which address I should send them? On my p45 I found office number “073” which refers to a particular office. However, this is not my local office. Should I send these documents to the above-mentioned office?

2. the P50 asks to attach a letter giving the name and the address of the employer. Is it ok just to print that on a piece of paper or shall I ask my ex employer to sent it to me?

Any replies will be very helpful. I don’t seek any benefits or smth else, just want to get my overpaid tax back. Thank you.:T
  • For info, the HMRC have a new Computer System, just thought I'd let you know in case they "mess up" anyone elses tax code like they did mine.

For a start they thought I had two jobs (I only have one) and gave me a Tax Code for each ..... unfortunately the job I am in was given a Tax Code of BR (I rang the Tax Office earlier in the week and sorted it out however my payroll department didn't receive notification in time) - I've worked for this company nearly 14 years and now have a Company Car, so I expected a little increase in tax .... although I got the shock of my life earlier when the payslips arrived . . . . I mean I knew BR meant big trouble ..... but I was still knocked sideways when I saw the Tax they took was nearly 1200 quid!! Fortunately with a bit of grovelling to our Payroll and statements such as "I can't live off £600 for a month I have bills to pay!!" they recalculated my wages and I'm now a lot less skint than I thought I'd be!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure