£450 amazon voucher: scam?

I've just seen a listing for £450 in amazon gift vouchers sent by email. Perhaps it's just me being over-cautious but I've heard of a lot of people buying high valued vouchers and them not working.

Here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/450-AMAZON-CO-UK-GIFT-VOUCHER_W0QQitemZ150025262587QQihZ005QQcategoryZ65215QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This one is being sold by an ebayer with 0 feedback. This always worries me when the item being sold is of potentially high value. They write under sellers instructions, "This is an email voucher. Paypal not accepted as payment method. You can pay on collection or if you have high feedback then i may accept payment after i email you the voucher"

They supposedly want the buyer to take payment to them and meet face to face. This perhaps makes it less likely to be a scam but is it likely that someone will have £450 worth of genuine amazon gift vouchers?

Currently the item has only been bid up to £30 - perhaps buyers are wary of this one. As it stands the winning bidder could get the bargain of the century if the item is genuine but if there's a rally at the last minute (it closes thursday at 2pm) the winner could find themselves out of pocket if it turns out to be a scam.
:D

Comments

• Annie021063
    Annie021063 Posts: 2,569 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've just seen a listing for £450 in amazon gift vouchers sent by email. Perhaps it's just me being over-cautious but I've heard of a lot of people buying high valued vouchers and them not working.

Here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/450-AMAZON-CO-UK-GIFT-VOUCHER_W0QQitemZ150025262587QQihZ005QQcategoryZ65215QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This one is being sold by an ebayer with 0 feedback. This always worries me when the item being sold is of potentially high value. They write under sellers instructions, "This is an email voucher. Paypal not accepted as payment method. You can pay on collection or if you have high feedback then i may accept payment after i email you the voucher"

They supposedly want the buyer to take payment to them and meet face to face. This perhaps makes it less likely to be a scam but is it likely that someone will have £450 worth of genuine amazon gift vouchers?

Currently the item has only been bid up to £30 - perhaps buyers are wary of this one. As it stands the winning bidder could get the bargain of the century if the item is genuine but if there's a rally at the last minute (it closes thursday at 2pm) the winner could find themselves out of pocket if it turns out to be a scam.

I WOULD AVOID THIS LIKE THE PLAGUE
  • MrSaver
    MrSaver Posts: 167 Forumite
    it's the mafia lol
  • alexpeck
    alexpeck Posts: 186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Too dodgy for me too =o)
  • 0 feedback seller, newly registered, high value item.

SCAM SCAM SCAM!!!
    If freedom is outlawed, only outlaws will have freedom.
  • Jeeeeeeeeez..how many times do people need to be told...OF COURSE IT'S A SCAM....................who in their right mind would even consider buying a high value voucher from a ZERO feedback eBayer........AND they want the winner to meet them face to face?????????? What...so they can smack him / her in the mouth and leg it with the cash????

Please don't tell me you're really that dim that you'd even consider bidding on this....I can see it now ...just after the auction ends and the winner tries to spend the vouchers....................

" I lost £440 in eBay scam...can you help / advise please? " :-)

Mike
    if i had known then what i know now
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    The highest bidder anwarb2005 is also buying these cards too, scam all the way

Theres a voucher scam post here
  • vianna
    vianna Posts: 112 Forumite
    I have a sort of OT question, when did Newcastle upon Tyne move to North Yorkshire, I live near Newcastle and last I looked it was still in the same place.

Oh yeah and I agree with all above it's a scam, if it's too good to be true it usual is (or your dreaming)
    Nice to save.
  • There was no way I was ever going to bid on it. Just thought I'd put it here as it looked very suspicious. On a related topic, why do people pay e.g. £4.93 for a gift voucher worth £5? I almost always see vouchers being bid virtually all the way up to their actual value (One time I saw one person bid £10.03 for a voucher worth £10!) Given that you have to spend time bidding, paying and then worrying whether the voucher will turn up in the post, is it worth it?
    :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport