PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

lily pollen stains

Options

Comments

• borntoshop
    borntoshop Posts: 2,177 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Too late for this advice as it sounds like you have already washed it.
    I have lilies a lot and they invariably stain clothes and even the wallpaper.
    I get a small piece of sellotape and gently lay over the pollen, being careful not to press down, the pollen attaches to the stickyness and i can uually remove it.
    Also i cut the stamens off as soon as the flower opens, this helps!!
    Sorry its not a remedy, but i've searched for a tip for removing and never found one.
  • honey28
    honey28 Posts: 1,546 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks!
    I normally do cut them off but these ones sprung from nowhere!
    any other tips?????
  • Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Dye the item pollen coloured:rotfl:

Sorry, that isn't really very helpful I know, I think lilly pollen is one of lifes few unbeatables though:mad:
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • elmer
    elmer Posts: 903 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi, I find a long soak in a mild bleach solution can work as long as its colour fast.

However when I spilt, lily pollen on the carpet with the water, the mess was horrible, I left a message here for help and went away for the weekend, when we came back the stain was nearly gone, it had been "bleached" out by the sun, we then promptly spilt the same vase of flowers with the same result but the other side of the table, and a week later both stains had gone, so perhaps a day in the sun might help?

Lilies are now banned in this house.

hope you solve the problem

regards

elmer
  • irishspur
    Options
    My other half got too close to a bunch of lillies recently and has been left with a large pollen stain on a cotton/polyester sleeve, any ideas on how to get this off, we've washed it with normal detergent twice already?
  • bargainaholic
    Options
    OK I realise it's too late for this time - sorry, but another time use sellotape on the pollen before anything else. The tape just pulls the pollen off, without rubbing it in, before it has the chance to stain.

Before I learnt this trick, I tried all manner of stain removers, but with no great success I'm afraid.

Good luck with it though
  • irishspur
    Options
    Cheers all the same, ruined a perfectly good top, she's gutted!
  • emylou
    emylou Posts: 444 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have been looking at all the great tips on here for house cleaning and saving money on food, etc and I just wondered if anyone had any ideas for how to get lily stains out of clothes??
    Thanks in advance :)
    Married my wonderful husband February 2013!:happyhear
    I want to wear my beautiful wedding dress everyday- it would make shopping so much more fun, I mean, people go shopping in their pyjamas these days.......
    Must STOP spending!!! :)
    Proud to be dealing with my debts!
    Beautiful Rainbow Babies born on 31/12/14 @2:45am and 7/6/2017 @12:44pm
  • melancholly
    melancholly Posts: 7,457 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    not sure of anything fool-proof - after a lily staining incident a few years ago (i never got it out fully - it would be a white top wouldn't it!) i now cut off all the stamens on the flowers as soon as i can to try not to do it again!
    sorry for the advice being a little late, but i'm sure someone will come along in a bit with a good suggestion!
    :happyhear
  • tina68
    tina68 Posts: 461 Forumite
    Options
    LILY POLLEN.....If dry try and vacuum clean off excess, if wet soak up with dry cloths. Professional cleaning can often remove any residue but don't attempt cleaning the stain yourself with detergents.
    Not much help as this was for carpets but you could always use the hose
    Tina x
    on this day 23/05/1430
    Joan of Arc captured and delivered to the English
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business