PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparedness for when

Comments

• Have just looked on Fleabay and they have packs of 50 x 10 hour burning time tealights for around £10.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 12 May 2013 at 5:28PM
    elaine241 wrote: »
    where do they put it in Asda when in stock?I have never seen it in our local one, is it called something specific?

It's in the Barbecue aisle, and it's named EkoFuel.

It's designed for use in Bio-Ethanol Fireplaces.
    l_19274087.jpg
    It also works in spirit stoves, used by backpackers, and it is cheaper and cleaner than Methylated Spirits.
  • The only downside I find with tealights (and I've nothing against them as emergency lighting - I have 500 of the small ones in my preppers stores), is that, as they burn down, more and more light is directed at the ceiling (hence less in a useful direction), by the metal cup.
  • I take them out of the metal cup and put them into a glass votive holder, stand that in front of a mirror and you have light!
  • Do they not melt completely, and coat the inside with wax?
  • Talking of phones, a lot of people have a landline phone that relies on an external power supply - to power a answering machine or a mobile handset. I think it's worth hanging on to an analogue phone if you have one, it will run off the trickle of power in the phone line even when the electiricty supply is down.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Talking of phones, a lot of people have a landline phone that relies on an external power supply - to power a answering machine or a mobile handset. I think it's worth hanging on to an analogue phone if you have one, it will run off the trickle of power in the phone line even when the electiricty supply is down.
    :) I've seen this covered in a book on prepping before. I have a landline and have always chosen to have an old-style phone. Being as my flat is tiny, it's not like I'm going to be far from the phone wherever I am, it won't be more than 4 metres from me at maximum.

I do have the answerphone element of the fixed phone plugged into the power supply, which obviously wouldn't work in a powercut, but the landline should still function.

My parents have had one of those wretched disconnected phones for years and it has been getting progressively more and more unreliable, not holding it's charge etc. Finally died and is being temporarily replaced by the spare analogue phone. I also have a spare one, it was borrowed from a pal to test whether a fault was on the line or in the physical phone and when I went to give it back, she urged me to keep it.

A small analogue phone doesn't cost much nor does it take up much room.

It is getting harder to buy them with answerphones, tho. I appreciate you can use answerphone services but I'm forgetful and like something as basic a wee red flashing light on the phone to tell me I have a message.

Mine is delightfully retro looking except it has a digi display and what appear at first glance to be dialling fingerholes are actually buttons. I was going to get you a piccie off the Arg0s site but it's down for improvements atm..........
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Yes they do, but I can wash them out before putting in the next one, it isn't hard to do.
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,658
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :)

I've been having a weekend of mixed chores and reading, have my nose in James Kunstler's The Long Emergency, which is one of the best books about what will happen as we head past Peak Oil. It's edge-of-the-seat reading, even though it's a concept I'm well-familiar with through blogs like thearchdruidreport and 22billionenergyslaves among other readings both on and offline.

It's frightening to understand that our present population levels, both in this country and all over the world, are only sustained by oil. And that when the oil runs low so will our food supply, and all the other things we rely on.

GQ you may be interested in James Kunstler's blog which is good read (though not for those easily offended by occasional VERY bad language)

http://www.kunstler.com/blog/
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • Yes they do, but I can wash them out before putting in the next one

How do you wash out wax :huh:

It's waterproof.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills