Just won an item - can I remove postage charge as I'm collecting

I have won an item where the seller offered collection or courier and agreed to delay collection for one week on the understanding that I paid before I went on holiday.

Luckily I did win the auction and have tried to pay but the postage charge is still showing and I cant amend or remove it. Is there any way I can remove this so that I can pay (time is not on my side as I'm off in the morning).

I have already emailed the seller for a revised invoice but have heard nothing from them yet.

Any advise or help would be appreciated.

Comments

• magic57
    magic57 Posts: 736 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Usually if you collect the seller will prefer you to pay cash on collection. Most don't like Paypal as they can't prove that the item has been delivered. Did they mention you paying cash?
  • BargainJunky
    BargainJunky Posts: 1,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    magic57 wrote: »
    Usually if you collect the seller will prefer you to pay cash on collection. Most don't like Paypal as they can't prove that the item has been delivered. Did they mention you paying cash?

I asked before auction end if I could delay collection as I wouldn't have time to collect it until after 27th - they said that was fine as long as I paid before I went on holiday.

I'm assuming they meant by paypal as if I was taking the cash to them I may as well have collected it at the same time. I also agree that its best not to accept paypal on collection only items.
  • I would pay in the morning and then contact the seller to discuss postage after I return.

If they don't refund the postage (or all of it, allowing you to collect and pay cash), then they will have to send it by courier.
  • Rhymsta
    Rhymsta Posts: 478 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    There is a setting that lets sellers choose whether or not to allow buyers the option of amending the payment details - for cases like this. If your seller has chosen not to allow it you really do need them to send you an invoice.
  • Given the above advice it seems sensible to me to contact the seller and say, in a nice way, that you are pleased you have won the item and as previously agreed you will collect the item on return from holiday. Also say that you understand that paying cash will mean the seller will avoid PayPal charges, so you will pay cash on collection.
  • Given the above advice it seems sensible to me to contact the seller and say, in a nice way, that you are pleased you have won the item and as previously agreed you will collect the item on return from holiday. Also say that you understand that paying cash will mean the seller will avoid PayPal charges, so you will pay cash on collection.

Problem is, is that the OP is unlikely to get a reply or a revised invoice before going on holiday in the morning.

If they don't pay, then the seller can open a NPB after 4 days and close it 4 days later, just as they get back.
  • Problem is, is that the OP is unlikely to get a reply or a revised invoice before going on holiday in the morning.

If they don't pay, then the seller can open a NPB after 4 days and close it 4 days later, just as they get back.

Yes, point taken. The point I was trying to make, which was difficult, was that any reasonable seller having received a message such as the one I suggested, would, hopefully be agreeable. I've done it without any tears in the past and sellers have done it for me.
  • BargainJunky
    BargainJunky Posts: 1,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just an update on this one - the seller ignored my polite request to pay and collect on return from holiday they just sent me a paypal invoice less the postage.

I paid the paypal invoice Thursday and contacted the seller last night to arrange collection - as I write this I have not heard a thing from the seller.

I am assuming if I get no response within a week or so I can file INR to get my money back and the seller can be the lucky recipient of my feedback.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure