£1 each way National Express tickets

National Express are still offering their Funfare £1 each way tickets to selected destinations. The tickets are only bookable via the internet.
Living in London and able to be flexible with my times has given me the opportunity of going on Daytrips to various places for just £2 return!!

Comments

• mickmg
    mickmg Posts: 109 Forumite
    Couldn't find the link on their site........whats the exact address please
  • BigDunc
    BigDunc Posts: 328 Forumite
    Fiscal drag, that's my problem. Too many people dragging on my fiscals.
  • BigDunc
    BigDunc Posts: 328 Forumite
    Hving said that, fun apparently means travelling on your own - try to book for one adult and you get the tickets for £1 each way, try to book for more than that and you get their normal prices. Where's the 'f' in fun?
    Fiscal drag, that's my problem. Too many people dragging on my fiscals.
  • lipidicman
    lipidicman Posts: 2,598 Forumite
    You do have to be flexible - sometimes you have to catch the 5:15 am or the like! Good stuff though!

Has anyone tried Megabus, I'd like to hear any feedback (not tried it myself)
  • mssjab
    mssjab Posts: 119 Forumite
    I haven't used Megabus as such because they often drop-off some distance from the main destination and their timetables don't usually allow you to take Daytrips. Saying that, I've found that if you book to go from London to Oxford with Megabus you actually travel on the same groups Oxford Tube service (4 buses an hour each way).
    Also, beware about going to Milton Keynes!!!! The dropping off point is at the MK Coachway (just off the M1 and 2 miles from the town) for both National Express and Megabus. There is, apparently, a bus service from there to the town, but it costs of course.
    As an alternative, the Easybus service (London-Milton Keynes, seats from £1) takes you directly to the town.

Just to make a comment on some things said above - it is true that some seats at £1 on National Express are at silly travelling times, but as I said originally, if you are flexible and book reasonably in advance you can still get the seats at good travelling times (Just like the budget airlines). And yes, it can be difficult (but not impossible) to book more than one £1 seat at a time, but there is nothing to stop you from making more than one booking. On an early evening trip back from Norwich there were only 7-8 passengers and only 1 had paid the full fare, and that was because he bought his ticket from the driver - another 1 had paid £2, the rest of us had only paid £1 each.
  • lipidicman
    mssjab wrote:
    On an early evening trip back from Norwich there were only 7-8 passengers and only 1 had paid the full fare, and that was because he bought his ticket from the driver - another 1 had paid £2, the rest of us had only paid £1 each.

I bet he was pleased to hear that!

Now, can I get a better deal than buying my TRAIN tickets on the day - I look at the websites but it doesnt ever seem clear!
  • mssjab
    The best rail deals I've found are if you can travel from 14days on from the date of booking.
    See https://www.thetrainline.co.uk (you'll have to register to get the prices) for UK travel, https://www.raileurope.co.uk for Europe and https://www.nationalrail.co.uk (https://www.railcard.co.uk is the direct link) for money saving UK railcards.
  • lipidicman
    You have to register for thetrainline - I go there for prices and it wont tell me without registration - madness! How much are the savings? I might give it a go if it is worthwhile!
  • mssjab
    I did say that you would have to register with the trainline site, but don't ask me why. Maybe it has something to do with being able to buy the tickets online!!
    I registered with the site nearly two years ago and have not been pestered with any emails as the consequence. I've just checked my account details with the site and seen that the only details they have on me are my name and email address, so not a problem for me.
    The savings to be made depend on where you want to go, and when. I've just looked at London Euston to Manchester in about 3 weeks time and seen that the basic (that's without a rail card) Saver Return Fare is £55 but it's possible to buy the same journey on 2 single tickets for £24 (£12 each way). Quite a saving I would say.
    Of course these fares would be available in advance from the station but, of course, you have to get there and then hope that the ticket clerk knows what you're asking for!!
    This particular journey is operated by Virgin Trains who, obviously, also offer the same deal, but you'll find that you'll still have to register with them to find out the details (funnily enough the details that you have to supply to them will also work on the trainline site, and visa/versa)
  • mssjab
    Sorry - forgot my manners.
    Many thanks for the 2 'Thank You's' that you have posted.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure