Loosening plastic plumbing screw ring thing

I need to clean the u-bend underneath my bath plug, as the bath water runs out too slowly.

The plastic u-bend pipe is fixed to the main down pipe with a round plastic ring...and I can't budge it at all!!!

Are there any tips anyone can kindly offer up??

Have tried to use my biggest pair of claw grips, but the are still to small to fit around the ring (which is approx 2 inch diameter-ish.

thanks all

Comments

• roger196
    roger196 Posts: 610
    First Post
    Forumite
    Try from the following
    Water pump pliers www.screwfix.com part no 25268
    Pipe wrench www.screwfix.com part number 57920
    Boa constrictor rubber wrench www.bes.co.uk part no 7746

I would probably try the last one first in view of limited space. I have given the refs so that you can see what they look like. the diy sheds also sell them. You need to be careful not to crush the plastic pipe.

Good luck
    Roger
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,388
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I've used one of the chain type car oil filter wrenches successfully if you've got room to get it in.
  • Moss5
    Moss5 Posts: 370
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Try loosening thesecond ring nut (P trap outlet) then rotate the whole P trap slightly to assist with loosening the first ring nut.
  • Jolaaled
    Jolaaled Posts: 1,061
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Moss5 wrote: »
    Try loosening thesecond ring nut (P trap outlet) then rotate the whole P trap slightly to assist with loosening the first ring nut.

Thanks so much for all the tips.
    Moss..yes, i have tried this idea too...got the other ring loosened, and then tried the culprit ring..but still to no avail.
    I may have to resort to using chemicals to pour down and unblock..I think it's long hairs that have accumulated..
    Thanks again, everyone.
  • Hot sodium hydroxide (causic soda) will dissolve the hair/soap scum. Pretty plastic friendly too and doesnt cost a lot!

Only mix it with warm water as when it dissolves it becomes extremely hot. Wouldnt spill it on an enamel bath either.
  • Jolaaled
    Jolaaled Posts: 1,061
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    jrrowleyws wrote: »
    Hot sodium hydroxide (causic soda) will dissolve the hair/soap scum. Pretty plastic friendly too and doesnt cost a lot!

Only mix it with warm water as when it dissolves it becomes extremely hot. Wouldnt spill it on an enamel bath either.

Thanks for that tip!...will go off in search of caustic soda ...would i get it from hardware type shop?
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    sometimes they stick so badly the only option is to cut them off and replace the whole part.
    i did one recently. it was stuck together using evostik! (on the threads).
    due to space restrictions, i had to chisel it off.

luckily the parts required are pretty cheap.
    Get some gorm.
  • Jolaaled wrote: »
    Thanks for that tip!...will go off in search of caustic soda ...would i get it from hardware type shop?

I would have thought so, not bought it for a while (got a big pack a while ago). According to boots.com they sell it and also robert dyas.
  • If it is truly a round plastic ring on the soil stack as you say it might not be a fitting that unscrews, but a push fit connector with an "O" ring
    You scullion! You rampallian! You fustilarian! I’ll tickle your catastrophe (Henry IV part 2)
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    He's not talking about the soil stack but you might be correct about it being push fit.

OP can you post a pic?

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure