Long stay lipstick - which is the best one?

I'm starting a new job as a receptionist soon, and will need to wear lipstick - bit of a problem for me as I chew my lips all the time, so wear lipsalve rather than lipstick as I chew it away within 5 minutes! Can anyone recommend a cheapist long-lasting lipstick that I can wear? Thanks.

Comments

• jayne-mams
    jayne-mams Posts: 22 Forumite
    I've always had a lot of trouble finding long stay lipstick that actually IS long stay. 9 out of 10 times I've bought a product on that advertising pretext it hasn't turned out to be and is gone within the hour.

The only one that I've tried that actually does last a reasonable length of time is L'Oreal Invincible Kiss Proof. I have it in three different shades. It does last some time, but my problem with the line is that they aren't as moisturising or smooth to apply as other lipsticks. While this doesn't bug me too much it is noticeable compared to my other blink-and-they'll-disappear lipsticks. The other thing is that their range of colours isn't too inspiring. However if it's a matt lipstick for work you might not want a wacky colour anyway!

It's pretty cheap at around £3-4.

x
  • belfastgirl23
    belfastgirl23 Posts: 8,025
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I find long stay lipsticks very drying on the lips and they make it much more likely that I do the lip licking & chewing. I'd say go without personally :)
  • angel
    angel Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    I use L'Oreal Invincible Kiss Proof too. I've tried loads of others but this is the best for me. I use two shades, one for daytime and one for evening. The daytime one has been discontinued so I have to look out for it on ebay now.

I work with cats and kiss them a lot so I need a good lipstick that stays on! I find that the only thing that wears it off is if I eat something greasy.

Good luck with finding the right one!
    :smileyhea "here, hare, here" :smileyhea
  • Vashti
    Vashti Posts: 174 Forumite
    A lip tint might be a good idea - but only if you like darkish lips. If you are a pale pinky kind of gal, you will never find a decent long lasting lipstick in a light shade.

Benefit do a lovely natural rose red stain, no mater how much you chew it will still be there at 5.pm and you can always put your lip balm or lip gloss over the top to make it look more like lippy. You could use a lip liner too to make your mouth look more defined.

Loreal are probably the best at long lasting lipstick, I agree with the above posters. I usually put a normal paler colour on top to make it look less dry, and give it a bit of sheen. But they do dry your lips out....you are supposed to brush your lips with a toothbrush vigorously to get the flaky bits off!

Heres a link to the Benefit stain (there is a cheaper fake on on ebay too)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BeneFit-Benetint-Cheek-Lip-Ruby-Stain-Blush-tint-BNIB_W0QQitemZ260109939147QQihZ016QQcategoryZ11864QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
  • alyth
    alyth Posts: 2,671 Forumite
    Loved your comments about kissing the cats, Angel! And thanks for the link Vashti, I'll have a look at that in a minute, but I appreciate your replies, and will hop down to Boots this week to try out the L-Oreal. I'm extremely pale and blonde so haven't a clue even what shade to try, as I really have never worn lipstick, and I'm always sucking or chewing my lips so they tend to be quite red anyway!
  • Vashti
    Pale and blonde....if I were you I would go for a lighter neutral pink like this one - although it is darker on your lips! maybe the Benefit would be a little dark for you?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LOREAL-INVINCIBLE-KISS-PROOF-LIPSTICK-108-PINKY-PEACH_W0QQitemZ110118720916QQihZ001QQcategoryZ11868QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
  • Vashti
    ...meant to say if you look further down this page there is a lot of different colour shades to look at

Hope you find what you like!
  • ka7e
    ka7e Posts: 3,078
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Max Factor's Lipfinity range is long-lasting. It's a coloured lip "covering" that dries to form a waterproof coating, then you apply the supplied topcoat. The topcoat is a bit like Vaseline and doesn't stay on all day so it needs reapplying. The colour lasts all day, though. Cheapest source is Ebay, but you need to check out the colours in-store. The colour of the liquid in the tube dries to a totally different shade!
    "Cheap", "Fast", "Right" -- pick two.
  • juno
    juno Posts: 6,553
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I love Max Factor's Lipfinity. It's more like a paint than a lipstick. It really does last.
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt [STRIKE]£4578.27[/STRIKE] £0.00 :j
    100% paid off :j

• pattycake
    pattycake Posts: 1,576
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I looked washed out without my lippy so my product of choice is Mabelline Superstay 16 hour. You paint it on and let it dry then there is separate lip salve provided which you use to moisturise. The balm can be reapplied as necessary throughout the day. I personally prefer to use a gloss over the top as that stays moist for longer. The colour stays on really well. You can even clean your teeth and it is still there.

It cost £7.99 but lasts ages. I usually wait for it to be on offer at Boots or Superdrug then it is £5.99.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure