Nokia 6234 - Is there ANY way of unlocking AT ALL?

lazymoezy
lazymoezy Posts: 1,408 Forumite
Is there any chance of unlocking these phones. Why on earth do they make it like that, I thought it was about customer satisfaction.

I know they cant be unlocked but was wondering if the network provider, in this case Vodafone, could unlock it?

Cheers,

-MoE-

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,288
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    yes, Vodafone can unlock it, there are codes to unlock these but it is a BB5 type phone and the method they use for generating the lock code has not yet been duplicated by the unlocking software

speak to customer services and they can give you the code , although not for free
    I'm a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Shopping and Freebies, Phones and TV and Over 50s boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing . All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • It's possible to request an NUC at anytime from customer services. You can do this either by contacting 191, going into a Vodafone store or getting in touch by email using the ‘contact us’ option on https://www.vodafone.co.uk.

You'll just need to provide the following information:

- Make and model of handset
    - IMEI number (you can find this by entering * # 0 6 # and pressing send)
    - Address including post code

Vodafone then contact the manufacturer to obtain the NUC code. If the handset is under twelve months old then there would be a charge of £19.99 to unlock the handset which is either debited from the account (if contract) or needs to be applied onto the handset as calling credit (if pay as you talk). If your handset is over twelve months old then you can get an NUC code free of charge.
  • lazymoezy
    lazymoezy Posts: 1,408 Forumite
    My brother wants me to unlock it for him, he dont know much about phones, he bought this off a guy at work who I think is on contract but he has got a PAYG sim, temporarily, and would like to use O2 on it.

Say if the phone is registered to that guys house at work? Or doesnt that matter?

Thanks for the quick response!

-MoE-
  • reehsetin
    reehsetin Posts: 4,916
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    that may very well matter, try it, if not, if he can get the person whos it is to give them a ring and he can give them the £20
    Yes Your Dukeiness :D
  • MinervaUK wrote:
    It's possible to request an NUC at anytime from customer services. You can do this either by contacting 191, going into a Vodafone store or getting in touch by email using the ‘contact us’ option on https://www.vodafone.co.uk.

Vodafone then contact the manufacturer to obtain the NUC code. If the handset is under twelve months old then there would be a charge of £19.99 to unlock the handset which is either debited from the account (if contract) or needs to be applied onto the handset as calling credit (if pay as you talk). If your handset is over twelve months old then you can get an NUC code free of charge.

Is this the same process for a nokia 6680 on 3? I know 3 charge £15 for unlock during the last month of your contract but what is the procedure after your contract has ended?

Nick.
    something missing
  • Nick_A wrote:
    Is this the same process for a nokia 6680 on 3? I know 3 charge £15 for unlock during the last month of your contract but what is the procedure after your contract has ended?

Nick.

The above is the policy we have at Vodafone, I'm sure the same information (e.g. IMEI number etc) is needed to obtain the code from the manufacturer, although prices may vary if you're obtaining the information directly from a network. I'm sure there's a document online somewhere which gives a matrix breakdown of 3, Vodafone, Orange etc. If all else fails you could drop their customer services a line.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure