Need not Want.

Comments

• 365days
    365days Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    Nothing bought from the middle sections :T Only things bought that weren't on list was a reduced gammon joint and reduced sausage rolls both already in freeezer. Have everything I need and more foodwise (except catfood) for the week and it came to under £30.

There really is so little I need.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • FireWyrm
    FireWyrm Posts: 6,557
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Does a new Filofax for organisational purposes count as need or want?
    Debt Free! Long road, but we did it
    Meet my best friend : YNAB (you need a budget)
    My other best friend is a filofax.
    Do or do not, there is no try....Yoda.

[/COLOR]
  • 365days
    365days Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    FireWyrm wrote: »
    Does a new Filofax for organisational purposes count as need or want?

Hmm tricky. Do you use a filofax currently and is it worn out. In that case I would say it was a need.

If you just fancy one over a notebook it's a want !
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • FireWyrm
    Forumite
    365days wrote: »
    Hmm tricky. Do you use a filofax currently and is it worn out. In that case I would say it was a need.

If you just fancy one over a notebook it's a want !

I've never had one before, but since my mobile is almost never charged (no one rings me anyway) I don't use the apps and features on it much. On the other hand, I've used notebooks over the years and it never quite seems to work for me. I liked the idea of being able to write down spending, plan meals, shopping lists, todo and want lists without having to carry more pieces of paper or books than necessary. A pocket one is £21 on Amazon. How does everyone else do it? Just notebooks, or do you have proper organisation books? I'm just sick of kids functions sneaking up on me and suddenly finding out I have to pay something to the school for some activity without having known about it...like a sneaky 'no uniform' day etc.

I live and die by shopping lists now, but have no central place for them. They kind of end up literally written on the back of envelopes and stuff.

I also want to plan the decoration of two new rooms, one for a new addition and the other for DDs.

[/COLOR]
  • FireWyrm wrote: »
    I've never had one before, but since my mobile is almost never charged (no one rings me anyway) I don't use the apps and features on it much.

Would it be cheaper to charge your phone and use it? No-one has to ring you for it to be worth using your mobile! There's loads of great list and notebook features you can get, and it won't cost you anything extra. Technically you don't NEED a filofax if you have a perfectly serviceable way to keep track of things that you just don't use. If you never even take your phone anywhere with you however, why not sell it and get a filofax instead? Tape a 50p in the back of the filofax for a phone box and you'll be sorted ;)

I'm definitely going to ask myself the 'do I NEED this?' question this year. There's lots of things I want, but my priority is saving for some trips away this year and if I want to afford those and keep my savings up (and not get into debt again) then I must practice saying no to other things I want! I picked up two tops in the sales on Saturday and managed to put them back - if there's one thing my overstuffed wardrobe doesn't need it's more clothes :rotfl:
    Savings target: £25000/£25000
    :beer: :T

• julie2710 wrote: »
    I might look at off cuts from the butcher. Not sure how likely they are to be cheaper. I only have a small dog and he has a completely raw meat diet. The chicken wings cost me £2 for the week so much cheaper than dog food.

I've been thinking about raw ... can I ask what other things you give him?
    TIA:)

If you have a Morr*isons near, they have a huge selection of various things great for a raw diet & very cheap - unfortunately not one near me!:mad:
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • FireWyrm
    Forumite
    Would it be cheaper to charge your phone and use it? No-one has to ring you for it to be worth using your mobile! There's loads of great list and notebook features you can get, and it won't cost you anything extra. Technically you don't NEED a filofax if you have a perfectly serviceable way to keep track of things that you just don't use. If you never even take your phone anywhere with you however, why not sell it and get a filofax instead? Tape a 50p in the back of the filofax for a phone box and you'll be sorted ;)

I'm definitely going to ask myself the 'do I NEED this?' question this year. There's lots of things I want, but my priority is saving for some trips away this year and if I want to afford those and keep my savings up (and not get into debt again) then I must practice saying no to other things I want! I picked up two tops in the sales on Saturday and managed to put them back - if there's one thing my overstuffed wardrobe doesn't need it's more clothes :rotfl:

The stupid phone is a contract. I got it when I had a job that required me to be in contact with customers and it was expensed, but have since left that and moved 'in house' so don't talk to customers anymore. I find that the silly thing keeps running out of charge anyway, so there's no chance of just playing on it since it leaks juice from the second you take it off charge.

The main reason for thinking along these lines is that I'm a 'scribbler' and I tend to draw things and find that I have to fill in the GTD apps the way the programmer thinks they should be done, not the way I want to. Perhaps in a few years when tablets evolve a little, this functionality will become more widespread and portable, but although I'm in the technology field, I havnt yet found technology that meets my expectations...basically, I'm using paper right now, it's just scrap rather than with some sort of organisation.

Actually, digging back through the emails from late last year, I have a voucher from Amazon earned when I closed my card with them.

I'm going to go for it. It's just a one off thing.

[/COLOR]
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    FireWyrm wrote: »
    I've never had one before, but since my mobile is almost never charged (no one rings me anyway) I don't use the apps and features on it much. On the other hand, I've used notebooks over the years and it never quite seems to work for me. I liked the idea of being able to write down spending, plan meals, shopping lists, todo and want lists without having to carry more pieces of paper or books than necessary. A pocket one is £21 on Amazon. How does everyone else do it? Just notebooks, or do you have proper organisation books? I'm just sick of kids functions sneaking up on me and suddenly finding out I have to pay something to the school for some activity without having known about it...like a sneaky 'no uniform' day etc.

I live and die by shopping lists now, but have no central place for them. They kind of end up literally written on the back of envelopes and stuff.

I also want to plan the decoration of two new rooms, one for a new addition and the other for DDs.

I have a little black notebook that I keep in my handbag (no comments please ;)) which I use for lists and notes to refer to when I'm out. Apart from that I keep spreadsheets for budgets / spends / payments on my laptop.

Do you use Outlook or similar? Perhaps start utilising the calendar function for keeping a note of forthcoming activities and a notebook for other lists (I bet you have at least one lying about) You could even have one book for everyday lists, and another for longer term / bigger projects. The benefit of having these in separate books is then you're not carrying around everything all of the time - it's amazing how heavy things like a filofax can get.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• kerri_gt wrote: »
    I have a little black notebook that I keep in my handbag (no comments please ;)) which I use for lists and notes to refer to when I'm out. Apart from that I keep spreadsheets for budgets / spends / payments on my laptop.

Do you use Outlook or similar? Perhaps start utilising the calendar function for keeping a note of forthcoming activities and a notebook for other lists (I bet you have at least one lying about) You could even have one book for everyday lists, and another for longer term / bigger projects. The benefit of having these in separate books is then you're not carrying around everything all of the time - it's amazing how heavy things like a filofax can get.

Ahhhh Kerri *sigh* this makes so much sense to me!:)

I've just bought a "to do list" notebook but forgot to double check the size / weight :o and it's far too big / heavy to carry around :o so I decided I'd use that one for Sat & Sun and bought a little A6 spiral notebook to carry around for Mon - Fri .... BUT I've hit problems already as some things are in the Sat / Sun book and I think about them when I'm not near it and can't check!

Currently thinking I'll have to re-date the A6 everyday notebook to incl Sat & Sun :eek: (oh joy!)

I do use Outlook and tend to keep "reminders" in my one at work but this showed a huge issue when I went on long term sick ..... so ... back to the notebooks for me!

Must think of something to do with the big "to do" list book ... might use it as a shopping list but that seems a bit of a waste:o
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • I use my diary to keep me organised ( well try to be organised lol!) I have to keep track of 3 sets of child are and work etc! Then I've got a note pad which has menu plan and to do lists!

I went to the shops and even with 3 kids - 4 if you include OH and still managed to stick to my list, woohoo!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure