How much Money does the law say we need to live on?

Options
2»

Comments

• deb0020
    deb0020 Posts: 191 Forumite
    Options
    kidwesjnr wrote: »
    Thanks everyone - another quick question... do they still class you as working even if you are on maternity leave and only getting SMP? My partner is self employed and been off sick since end of Jan. We have a 7mth old daughter and are trying our hardest to live just off my SMP - and they STILL say we are getting more than the law says we need to live on!! Are they right?

Hope you can help x

I assume that you have received a letter from the DWP giving the details.

This should list what they say you need to live on which will be £100.95 for a couple less the money you have coming in. They will take off SMP, any maternity pay from your employers and working tax credits. They will ignore child benefit and child tax credits.
  • wevans2011
    Options
    My ftiend has asked me out of desperation to ask this question. He is in reciept of jobseekers allowance of £64 per week. However he has been told he must attend a trainging course for the next four weeks with his benefit being knocked down to half this whilst on the course. He lives ion a private bedsit and has to pay his ladnlord £30 per fortnight for his gas, electric and water thus leaving nothing to live on, meaning no money for food etc. Can he getv any help whilst on this course as he is desperately worried that he may be evicted from his home yet valone not being able to eat etc.
    Kind regards
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,658 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi

Please start a new thread.

Ansd it the mean-time check out the Trussel Trust as they run food banks. Your friend may also be entitled to the cost of his fares to this course?
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • wevans2011
    Options
    thank you, i'm new to this site excuse me for any mistakes
    regards
    W
  • kerryneedawind
    Options
    just made a new claim for me and my 3 kids as well and cant get nothing from no were, went to social services there brought some shopping for me and kids and then they said it was abount £80 that was wensaday (halloween) so now we have ran out and they will not help me. What do i do now?
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    just made a new claim for me and my 3 kids as well and cant get nothing from no were, went to social services there brought some shopping for me and kids and then they said it was abount £80 that was wensaday (halloween) so now we have ran out and they will not help me. What do i do now?
    Start a new thread....but make sure you get everything you are entitled to. You need to apply seperately to the DWP for income support or job seekers allowance and to the HMRC for child benefit and tax credits and to your local council for housing and council tax benefit. You may be entitled to other benefits but they are the basic ones.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 5 November 2012 at 9:57PM
    Options

A similar thread on here with a single mother and 3 kids suggests she/you will be entitled to £284 per week plus rent and council tax so you will probably be quids in when its all sorted out. Click on the link below.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4266859
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family