647L Non-Cumulative tax code

Options
Hi, can anyone help?

I started my job with the NHS in Sept 09 and my tax code was put as 647L NonCum. I have spoken to my tax office (which didnt explain anything) and have changed by tax code, to 647l Cumulative... and am awaiting to see changes at the end of this month.......

Not sure what changes will happen and dont want to be stung with a tax repayment??
Does anyone know if there will be a change in the amount I am being tax? Will I get a rebate or do I owe???

Any ideas?

Comments

• jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    What were you doing from April 6th 09 till you started your job in Sept 09?
  • Holly2kbabe
    Options
    Hi,
    Well was made redundant on 19th Jan 09
    20th Jan - 22 Feb - unemployed
    23-26 Feb 09 - temp job
    march 09 - aug 09 - temp job
    sept 09 - Started the NHS
  • fengirl_2
    fengirl_2 Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Options
    One hopes that HMRC have gathered the details of your temp job and notified them to your employer. You are now off E code and you may find a small refund in your next pay packet. Nothing you can do about it now - you should have got it sorted out as soon as you started at this job.
    £705,000 raised by client groups in the past 18 mths :beer:
  • Holly2kbabe
    Options
    At my last temp job I was on a BR W1 code, and was eventually put on the right code but dont think I ever see a tax refund??

I gave my p45 to my current employer, but they claimed they never see it? Hense, why I didnt realise.
    So is the Non-Cumulative an emergency code?
  • fengirl_2
    Options
    No, non-cumulative is code 647L operated on a cumulative basis so it sweeps up all your previous pay and tax and brings you right up to date.
  • Holly2kbabe
    Options
    I dont really understand tax, I guess the HMRC love people like me.
    So on a 16k salary, what sort of rebate am i looking at...... £10?
  • fengirl_2
    Options
    No, HMRC do not love people like you. People who keep their tax affairs up to date are far easier to deal with! Always, always make sure you get a P45 from an employer you leave and hand it right over to your new employer. If the new employer does not operate the P45, contact payroll immediately and give them the details from the P45(1a). Never let your affairs slip or you end up with repayments like you have done.
    Impossible to say what your refund would be without know the pay and tax deducted from all your jobs this tax year.
  • Holly2kbabe
    Options
    Jeeeze I feel like im being told off.
    I got my p45 and sent it off to payroll - See the tax code 647L and thought everything was ok. Never having a problem before / didnt seem to be taxed a overly large amount, and being a new employee I thought the Non-cumulative was something the NHS did, as the pay slip was very different to previous.
    As I said before not very good at understand tax/NI deduction %'s and codes.
    I can only read up online and only just found this site (thanks to GMTV)
  • fengirl_2
    Options
    I'm not telling you off! I'm trying to help you not get into a mess again.
  • Holly2kbabe
    Options
    Its not really a mess. As soon as I reliased the code was wrong I got on the phone to the taxoffice and they are sorting it. I just wanted to know if I would be due a rebate or owe money so I could be sure to have enough money if any was deducted.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure