We've made some changed to Competitions Time. Please see this thread.

how long were you comping before winning anything?

Comments

• Sorry to ask this here feel free to move it if required.

Ive not been comping long (5 and half weeks), but not feeling very confident about winning anything. Up to last night I have entered 448 comps (not including instant wins like on FB) and have only won 1 itune credit. Is it really worth all this time and effort. I didnt even get anything in the glamour may comps :rotfl: How do you keep up your motivation for entering? Although this has become a habit for me now and just something to pass the time, but Im not feeling as though Im getting anything out of it. Tips to feeling positive about it would greatly help thanks.

Hi there,

I started comping in Feb this year and didn't win anything my first month, the second month a won a few small things - magnet, frisbee. Then towards the end of the second month was where I started to get bigger wins (a £90 watch).

What you have to remember when you first start comping is there's no back up of entries there, after 3-6 months some of those comps you entered originally may start ending. Just think you might be entering a certain amount a day but they might not finish for another month or two.

The main thing is if you want to win don't give up, I got to the stage of finding it a bit tedious in my first couple of months and almost gave up til I won something I really wanted and that one WEM makes up for a month of no wins - trust me. And that usually gives me the motivation to carry on.

What a lot of compers do is search for competitions ending tomorrow or in a couple of days, that way you won't have as long waiting to know if you've won or not but if you fall behind you may miss out.

All I would say is for the first few months you have to keep at it and get a good backlog of entries under your belt and soon hopefully the wins will start coming in. But at the same time there's no point getting yourself down if you see the same people with lots of wins because 1) they may be entering more than you. and 2) they may just be luckier.

If you're not enjoying that feeling of entering a comp and thinking 'ooh i could win this' then maybe you need to take a break or comping isn't for you. Comping takes dedication and time and if you haven't got that there's no fun in it. I know when you're not winning it's easier said then done but you have to try and be positive, you'll get your wins just keep entering and be patient.

I find reading the IWIWIW posts cheer me up esp when someone posts and says they haven't won anything in a while then have a really nice win, you could be next!

Best of luck and happy comping!
  • ikkle87
    ikkle87 Posts: 8,449
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Your not really entering very many competitions though hun, 448 over 5 weeks is just over 12 a day. Maybe you could enter for things you could give as christmas presents to people like gift sets and hampers, dvds etc. You say you want an iPad, Smartphone, money or car these are very popular prizes and often get thousands and thousands of entrants so your chances of winning those are slimmer than if you entered a competition for a DVD you wanted or an effort comp such as a tie breaker etc.
    You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

xx Mama to a gorgeous Cranio Baby xx
  • LemonSocks
    LemonSocks Posts: 293
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I think I got quite lucky compared to some. I started comping in February and won a lingerie set by the end of the first week on FB. In fact my first 4 wins were all on FB.

Since then I think my biggest 'win-free' period has been around 3ish weeks long, but ever then my wins were so small I often questioned whether it was worth sticking it out.

But I actually find comping a fun way to pass the time. And it's so exciting when something does turn up - especially when you weren't expecting anything.

I would say aim for lower things as well though. About 90% of my wins are 'little' things. I only enter for things that I or a family member would like but that can be anything from a chocolate bar to a holiday. I've won shop vouchers and cash but my most exciting win to date has actually been some shampoo and condition (that hundreds of other people won too) - all because I hadn't expected it.
    Best 2021 wins: 48 bottles of cider, £200 John Lewis Vouchers, £100 Currys vouchers
  • kisto
    kisto Posts: 7,075
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Sorry to ask this here feel free to move it if required.

Ive not been comping long (5 and half weeks), but not feeling very confident about winning anything. Up to last night I have entered 448 comps (not including instant wins like on FB) and have only won 1 itune credit. Is it really worth all this time and effort. I didnt even get anything in the glamour may comps :rotfl: How do you keep up your motivation for entering? Although this has become a habit for me now and just something to pass the time, but Im not feeling as though Im getting anything out of it. Tips to feeling positive about it would greatly help thanks.

First of all, ultimately it's down to luck....however you've got to be in it to win it....and the more you're in, the more likely you are to win!
    As a previous poster mentioned, 448 is not that many competitions over 5 weeks, compared to what some compers enter.
    When I was really into comping I was averaging 150 a day. I'd win about 2 prizes a week. At the moment I'm probably only doing between 50 - 100 a day and I'm winning about 1 prize a week (and recently I've been fortunate as I've won a couple decent prizes).

I enjoy the monotony of entering the competitions - it's kind of therapeutic to sit here clicking and filling in forms. The anticipation of a potential win is what keeps me going! When I get a win, the excitement motivates me to go and enter more competitions and so on!
    :T*Thanks to all who posts comps * :j
  • I dont just enter comps for prizes listed in what I want to win most on my signature. If I think I would buy it anyway and would use it I enter it. Im not going to enter a comp for a random DVD that wont get watched, for example, but I do enter comps for shampoo, batteries, beauty products, home appliances etc. Also yes I have entered just over 12 a day, but I only found this forum on Sunday and until then could only find 5-10 a day to enter, Im sure my average will go up.

I know I need a back-log of comps entered, but was just wondering how long it took the average person to win something. Mind you I could start entering those DVD comps and sell them on could I? Am I allowed to do that? With regards to those caption, comment, blog type ones. I have very little imagination and not very good at that sort of thing so avoid them.

Thank you all to your kind messages, you have been so very helpful to me :beer:
    Current Aims: Laptop/PC, decent money, holiday
    Best Wins: Ipad, Nintendo 3DS, £400 Shopping Spree at LK Bennett, £100 Boots vouchers
    Total Wins (Since April 2012) £3442.56
    Big thanks to all who post comps :T:beer:
  • kisto wrote: »
    When I was really into comping I was averaging 150 a day. I'd win about 2 prizes a week. At the moment I'm probably only doing between 50 - 100 a day and I'm winning about 1 prize a week (and recently I've been fortunate as I've won a couple decent prizes).

I enjoy the monotony of entering the competitions - it's kind of therapeutic to sit here clicking and filling in forms. The anticipation of a potential win is what keeps me going! When I get a win, the excitement motivates me to go and enter more competitions and so on!

50-100 a day :eek: Ive been entering 20-30 since finding this forum and thought I was doing ok there.
    Best Wins: Ipad, Nintendo 3DS, £400 Shopping Spree at LK Bennett, £100 Boots vouchers
  • acidtooth
    acidtooth Posts: 25 Forumite
    I've been comping for about 6 weeks and had 6 wins in that time (4 x glamour giveaway wins, 1 x pair of club night tickets, 1 year's gourmet society membership). I've entered about 950 this week, spent whole days on it! so addictive...
  • acidtooth wrote: »
    I've been comping for about 6 weeks and had 6 wins in that time (4 x glamour giveaway wins, 1 x pair of club night tickets, 1 year's gourmet society membership). I've entered about 950 this week, spent whole days on it! so addictive...

you see I personally wouldn't have entered the club night tix or the years membership as I dont want them. Though I must admit I am addicted to looking through this forum and entering those comps that I want to win.

BTW in my original posts I told you I had entered 448 which I have, but I did enter a further 154 comps on those spam comp sites, but have since been questioning whether or not to bother with those so am not counting them in my main comps Ive entered.
  • Also Ive not counted instant win comps either as Ive not made a note of them (yes I am that sad I have a spreadsheet of comps entered, the ones where I find out Ive not won gets deleted) so in reality Ive entered more than that.
  • acidtooth
    acidtooth Posts: 25 Forumite
    you see I personally wouldn't have entered the club night tix or the years membership as I dont want them. Though I must admit I am addicted to looking through this forum and entering those comps that I want to win.

the gourmet society membership was a nice surprise, was entered into a competition with quidco when I signed up for a month trial membership but didn't know until the prize arrived! :)

I tend to enter anything I want for myself/my bf/family for birthday/xmas presents. the only ones I don't enter are dvd/baby/kid competitions or ones where you have to post a blog comment cos I'm lazy! haha. roboform is a godsend.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure