New Amazon Hidden Discount Finder

MSE_Martin
MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 9 February 2010 at 8:32PM in Site feedback
Hey folks,

We are launching a new, free, Amazon Hidden Discount Finder tool, hopefully in this week's email.

And that means we really need some MoneySavers to put it through its paces, testing it and trying to find any bugs! If you've got five minutes it'd be really helpful.

Here is the link: Amazon Hidden Discount Finder

Please give us your feedback / report glitches / what could improve it?

Won't give you too many hints on how to use it, as hopefully that will be obvious, and if it isn't then your feedback will be very valuable! Also please let us know if your favourite shopping category is missing and you'd like us to add it.

And let us know if its easily useable and no glitches

Please let us know what you think! (we've a few minor tweaks to make yet)

IF YOU DO FIND A BUG PLEASE TELL US WHAT BROWSER AND OPERATING SYSTEM YOU'RE ON

Martin

Update after reading below: We will add in the video games by console, we will sort the button crashing issue. As for the classical music 5,000 results - not that much we can do on that - except go to 90% off discounts. As for the % not always working -t hat's amazons sorting not ours but we'll put a disclaimer in.
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Comments

• Laethia
    Laethia Posts: 66 Forumite
    Nice new tool - I like the addition of the checkbox for free delivery. Will definately be bookmarking this one ;)
  • great new tool, i dont know why but when i get the results page
    my zonealarm pops up a warning that this site (moneysavingexpert.com)
    might be a phishing site and i should not continue.

atb
    widowmaker
  • uberalles
    uberalles Posts: 4,198 Forumite
    Very simple to use and I could not see any missing categories based on what I'd buy.

Even found some cheap earphones :T.

This next comment is cheeky but no harm in asking.
    I have on occasions managed to notice the weblinks loading as Amazon have directed me to the seller's site, then managed an even cheaper price by going direct to them.
    Is this an option on the results page, including the seller details?
    Or is this detriment to Amazon not something to be encouraged to do through the MSE site?
  • cazbie16
    cazbie16 Posts: 94 Forumite
    Can't click on checkbox to 'Show only Free Delivery Items', just catches the 'Go' button. Also chose Video Games 90%+ option and there were games that weren't even 33% off even on 2nd hand prices. HTH
    This site rocks and has saved me loads -
    thanks to all those that post on the forums and have saved me money
    ;)
  • The 90% doesn't only show me things that have 90% or more off - tried it on All Books, just Young Fiction and Electronics - I got things that we're just 50% off
    xx
    Just started cashback-ing - makes me feel less guilty when I impulse buy!
  • luvvlyjubbly
    luvvlyjubbly Posts: 2,440 Forumite
    Great, easy to use....will be very useful
    Never put off until tomorrow what you can avoid doing altogether.:D
  • Don't know if it's Amazon at fault or the tool, but...
    I.ve just tried a search for books (various categories) and 90% off.
    Just glancing at the first few I don't see 90% off. One example from science and nature(?)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/search/rh=n:57,p_8:90-99,p_76:1-?!!!!!moneysavingex-21

Its' RRP is £3.99 and you save 90p with Amazon. From a marketplace seller it's 41p+£2.75.
    Unless my arithmetic is all wrong neither of these options make the book 90% off

Or does this tool not include the postage associated with the marketplace? If so then that's wrong imo.

It's only a game
    ~*~*~ We're only here to dream ~*~*~
  • Under video games it would be good to select the console type rather than just the genre. :)

It's only a game
    ~*~*~ We're only here to dream ~*~*~
  • katthehat
    katthehat Posts: 1,046 Forumite
    Looks great, fast and easy to use, only problem i have come across is same as above, the 'show only free delivery items' seems to be hidden behind the 'Go' button, could it be made smaller?
    Kat :money:
  • Looks great, easy to use, very fast and I like the show only free delivery check box.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure