party warning to neighbours?

Hello,
My partner and i are having a little party for my birthday. There will be about 20 of us ranging from the ages 21-26. Can anyone advice me on a letter/note i could put through our neighbours letter boxes to warn them about the party/noise.
We are not a rowdy group of people but there will be music playing and people will be outside in the garden.

Many Thanks
2008 Total: £3232.46!!
Jan 09: £289.95Feb:£39.99 March: £274.99 April: Guinot travel set £50,Liz Earle Hot Polish £12.50,Bamboo socks £13,Hoppop changing bag £55,Um Bongo juice & T.shirt £54.99,Confessions Of A Shopaholic Book £5.50 May: Nothing :(June: Premiere tickets to Public Enemies:eek::D, Betterware cleaning kit

Comments

• could you just say we wanted to let you know that we'll be having a gathering on such and such a day we hope not to be a bother and if you are free why not pop round for a drink?
    or something?
  • paula65
    paula65 Posts: 85 Forumite
    We usually invite our neighbours either side so we can be as noisey as we like
  • cowbutt
    cowbutt Posts: 398 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    As someone who's often been disturbed by noisy neighbours and late parties, this is the kind of note I'd like to receive:

"Hi -

We're having a party on Saturday. We appreciate that you have the right to enjoy your home too, and so the music will stop and we'll move indoors by xxPM and we'll do our best to make sure our guests leave quietly. If this causes you any difficulty, please pop round to talk about it. If there are any problems on the night, please call us on 0xxx xxx xxxx.

[Optionally: We'd also like to invite you along, if you'd like to attend]

Your neighbours
    maria08k and DP"

Obviously, having given those assurances, you'll be expected to live upto them! :-)

As for a suggested stop time, 9PM shouldn't cause anyone too many problems, 11PM should be OK for most on a Friday/Saturday, much after that and it's at your neighbours' discretion.
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,198 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Dear Neighbours,

just to let you know that we will be having a party on X date from Xpm to celebrate my birthday. we're not planning a rowdy event, but we realise that noise does travel. We appreciate that people value their peace and quiet, so if you do thinking we're being too loud, please knock and tell us, or you can give us a ring on (phone number) and we'll quieten things down.

if you'd like to, you're more than welcome to pop in and join us for a drink on the night.

mr and mrs maria at number 22
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • maria08k
    maria08k Posts: 268 Forumite
    Thankyou all for you help :T
    Jan 09: £289.95Feb:£39.99 March: £274.99 April: Guinot travel set £50,Liz Earle Hot Polish £12.50,Bamboo socks £13,Hoppop changing bag £55,Um Bongo juice & T.shirt £54.99,Confessions Of A Shopaholic Book £5.50 May: Nothing :(June: Premiere tickets to Public Enemies:eek::D, Betterware cleaning kit
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    How long have you lived there? Do you know your neighbours? Do you get on? Do you (will you) have lots of parties, or is this a one-off?

I think it would be good to warn them. Would be better to invite them.

When I had a housewarming (obviously only a couple of weeks after moving in) I put a note through the door either side to warn them and invite them - but also to tell them that it wouldn't be a regular occurence. One side came and brought a bottle of wine with a "welcome to the street" card on it - was really chuffed.
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    P.S. I like the idea of giving the neighbours an idea of times, but if you do you must really try to stick to them...
  • cowbutt
    cowbutt Posts: 398 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    P.S. I like the idea of giving the neighbours an idea of times, but if you do you must really try to stick to them...

Yup; if I know when a loud party is going to end, I can usually manage to stay up until it finishes. But otherwise, I have to assume it's going to be an allnighter until 6am or so, and end up tossing and turning in bed for most of the night and trying to sleep using earplugs.
  • maria08k
    maria08k Posts: 268 Forumite
    We have only been there since the beginning of Jan, We exchange hello's but thats about it really. It's never going to be a regular thing, but obviously want to warn them as both sides have young children.
    I have written out a letter to both side, with times etc, and have asked them if they would like to pop round for a drink too. I have put the times until 11:00pm but know we will be will out but around 10:30pm. Thankyou for all your advice.
  • Toonie
    Toonie Posts: 1,147 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    When my partner and I had a party a few weeks ago we decided we would go round to our neighbours, talk to those on our level and the person directly below us and then drop notes into the others in the flats, we also made sure that things chilled out around 11pm and the music was off by midnight as we have families all around us.
    Grocery budget in 2023 £2279.18/£2700

Grocery budget in 2022 £2304.76/£2400
    Grocery budget in 2021 £2107.86/£2200
    Grocery budget in 2020 £2193.02/£2160

Saving for Christmas 2023 #15 £ 90/ £365
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts