Cheapest way to send a parcel to the USA

A lady in the USA bought something from me by ebay. Before the auction she asked how much shipping would be. I said I didn't know as I've never shipped abroad before. I said the parcel weighed 3.1kg, and she said Royal Mail surface mail was the cheapest costing £16.81. I checked the RM website and found this was correct so she paid £16.81 postage.

Just been to the Post Office and the Postmaster said the website is wrong as Royal Mail surface mail only goes up to 2kg. Anything over 2kg has to go by Parcel Force World Wide and costs £42.39.

The lady won't pay this much. Does anyone know of a cheaper way to send it?

It weighs 3.1kg and the dimensions are 30cm x 22cm x 12cm.
Here I go again on my own....

Comments

• pinkgem
    pinkgem Posts: 3,299 Forumite
    £16.81 is for surface mail printed papers, as are all the other royal mail services to usa for that weight

you can only send airmail or surface mail packets up to 2kg with royal mail

i would refrain from sending surface mail as it can take up to 8 weeks for delivery and buyer could do a paypal claim before it has been delivered
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Thanks - she told me small parcels could go by printed papers, and I had no reason to not believe her having never shipped abroad.

Does anyone know the cheapest way of sending it?

I'm not a regular ebay seller - just sell odd bits of unwanted stuff from home.
    Here I go again on my own....
  • From the courier thread
    [FONT=&quot] INTERNATIONAL AGENTS (Worldwide)[/FONT]

Trans Global Express

Worldwide Parcel Services

Both offer very good rates to Australia, New Zealand, United States, Canada and to other worldwide destinations.

The discount code for WPS is/was ebay10pc
  • hello, i also want to send some football shirts to canada + will be sending them about 2 times a year.
    is royal mail the cheapest for sending these parcels by air + surface mail ?
    what size does the parcel have to be if the weight is 2kg .
  • pinkzebra
    pinkzebra Posts: 385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm not sure what you sold on ebay, but could you split the item into 2 packages and send them Surface mail? Then they would be under the 2kg limit.
  • This is a old thread being rehashed by probably wps for marketing purposes. transglobalexpress are cheaper and direct parcel distribution are significantly cheaper still.

@pinkzebra surface mail is no no to be honest, it takes months and airmail is not much more. In the main courier thread there is a link to get FedEx >25kg for £25.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure