Paying for a holiday by Debit Card, I'm confused

Comments

• if you booked your flights with a VISA Debit Card you are probably covered read an article on www.bbc.co.uk/workinglunch then type in debit card this should explain everything
  • Does anybody know if my halifax visa electron count?
    Debt free and plan on staying that way!!!!
  • jmt
    jmt Posts: 279 Forumite
    Hello all,

I booked some flights (British Airways) to Atlanta for Easter next year (we will drive to Orlando as it's only 400 miles) with Dialaflight earlier this week.

I paid £100 (+ 1.95%) credit card fee as a deposit on my credit card and paid the balance of £800 by debit card the following day.

The guy at Dialaflight was extremely helpful and told us to pay £1 per person levy as a contribution to CAA for ATOL protection via the Aire Travel Trust Fund.

I therefore believe that I am protected should anything go wrong, but perhaps I am wrong - does anyone know?
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    jmt wrote: »
    Hello all,

I booked some flights (British Airways) to Atlanta for Easter next year (we will drive to Orlando as it's only 400 miles) with Dialaflight earlier this week.

I paid £100 (+ 1.95%) credit card fee as a deposit on my credit card and paid the balance of £800 by debit card the following day.

The guy at Dialaflight was extremely helpful and told us to pay £1 per person levy as a contribution to CAA for ATOL protection via the Aire Travel Trust Fund.

I therefore believe that I am protected should anything go wrong, but perhaps I am wrong - does anyone know?

You are covered twice - on your credit card (it's the total cost that matters, not the amount the card is used for) and by ATOL.
  • Feline-Fan
    Feline-Fan Posts: 25 Forumite
    Rather than start a new thread I thought I'd piggy back on the tail end of this one!

My holiday balance is due at the end of this month. It is with a large well known Travel Company, who are both ABTA and ATOL protected. I have booked a package holiday, ie. flight + accomodation

Am I safe paying by Debit Card - (thus avoiding the credit card charges)?

Also, if they were to go bust, before my holiday, would I get a full refund refund?

Thanks!
    Newbie :j
  • delwynshd
    delwynshd Posts: 2,907 Forumite
    Hi

Your fine to pay with debit card, even if the package is DIY as long as the airline is ATOL protected then your absolutely fine, I think there is alot of confusion on this subject amongst the public....

I mainly DIY we as a travel agent use ATOL proteted airlines and we have ABTA protection this therfore cover the customer.

However if the customer would like a cheaper holiday by using lets say Easyjet or Ryanair flights this would not be covered by ATOL therefore the customer could loose on the flights if they were to go bust...

Thanks
    Del
    Feline-Fan wrote: »
    Rather than start a new thread I thought I'd piggy back on the tail end of this one!

My holiday balance is due at the end of this month. It is with a large well known Travel Company, who are both ABTA and ATOL protected. I have booked a package holiday, ie. flight + accomodation

Am I safe paying by Debit Card - (thus avoiding the credit card charges)?

Also, if they were to go bust, before my holiday, would I get a full refund refund?

Thanks!
    I am a Travel Agent

My company’s ABTA numbers are P6046. MSE doesn't check my status as a Travel Agent, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Travel Agent Code of Conduct.
  • Feline-Fan
    Feline-Fan Posts: 25 Forumite
    Thank you for your very helpful and prompt reply!
    Newbie :j
  • mysuni
    mysuni Posts: 237 Forumite
    i was wondering about this today too as i don't have a cc. if i got a pre-pay cc would that work?
  • isplumm
    isplumm Posts: 2,204
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Hi,

Confused ... if you took out insurance when buying the flights / hotels etc & paid with debit card & company goes bust ... are you not covered by the insurance .... otherwise why have the insurance/??:eek:

Mark
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure