IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Ukpc parking fines

Comments

• trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I have been on the phone since i posted this question the 1st time and people have passed the responsibility to others but what I have been told is that a company called bigwood own the car park and have an agreement with UKPC to fine people for not displaying a valid permit and so Bigwood claim that UKPC can and will fine me everytime my vechile is in a bay without a permit and they said I WILL HAVE TO PAY. Shall I still ignore the letters?

You do not have to pay and these aren't FINES. Don't forget that UKPC are not the police or the council. They are just private citizens with no more power than you or me to demand money off people.
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • TrickyWicky
    TrickyWicky Posts: 4,025 Forumite
    HO87 wrote: »
    All that they could do is to pursue you for their reasonable losses which in what amounts to a free car park come to precisely zero.

Plus the DVLA lookup fee (£2.50), plus postage, plus time to administer the DVLA lookup, reply, letters being sent.

Once the ball starts rolling even on a case that loses in court have you not noticed the PPC often still gets minimal costs?
  • esmerobbo
    esmerobbo Posts: 4,979 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Plus the DVLA lookup fee (£2.50), plus postage, plus time to administer the DVLA lookup, reply, letters being sent.

Once the ball starts rolling even on a case that loses in court have you not noticed the PPC often still gets minimal costs?

Only you cant sue someone for £0!

So you would have to sue for an amount as a penalty, then you would not win, and if you don't win you don't get costs!
  • TrickyWicky
    But thats just it - go back and look at the "Parking eye loose" thread posted by Alex. They lost and still got their costs from the defendant.

Thats what I'm saying, the £2.50 plus postage etc can still be counted as a loss incurred by the company.

In effect even though PE lost, they still won because the motorist still had to stump up cash.
  • I have spoken at length and UKPC and they have said its a penalty charge, I didnt say I had recieved one and just told them that I was enquiring about the issue. In my lease it states I will have 1 parking space. It says nothing about me recieving a £90 'parking charge'.
  • esmerobbo
    edited 23 January 2012 at 4:16PM
    But thats just it - go back and look at the "Parking eye loose" thread posted by Alex. They lost and still got their costs from the defendant.

Thats what I'm saying, the £2.50 plus postage etc can still be counted as a loss incurred by the company.

In effect even though PE lost, they still won because the motorist still had to stump up cash.

Parking Eye didn't lose though they won! (in theory) The loss was in the amount they lost pursuing the case.
    They were awarded their loss's which were 2X £5 parking and 2X £2.50 not the 2X £120 penalties, and the mad cost's.
  • TrickyWicky
    It says nothing about me recieving a £90 'parking charge'.

It doesn't have to. As long as they specify what you are entitled to how the rest of the car park is managed isn't really relevant to your lease. The point is you have one space and you're using spaces that belong to other properties without consent which your lease doesn't entitle you to.
  • TrickyWicky
    esmerobbo wrote: »
    Parking Eye didn't lose though they won! (in theory) The loss was in the amount they lost pursuing the case.
    They were awarded their loss's which were 2X £5 parking and 2X £2.50 not the 2X £120 penalties, and the mad cost's.

Are you blind? - The thread titled "Parking Eye lose"
    Alexis27 wrote: »
    Original claim of £240 deemed a contractual penalty unrelated to damages incurred.

£15 + £95 costs awarded.

Also where did I state they were awarded their 'penalties'? - I didn't. All I said was that the DVLA lookup, postage etc could be classed as a loss/expense. I never said anything about their PPC parking charge so why are you trying to educate me about it? I never said 'would', 'is' etc just that it could be.
  • esmerobbo
    edited 23 January 2012 at 4:49PM
    Sorry for the thread hijack,
    Are you blind? - The thread titled "Parking Eye lose"

Also where did I state they were awarded their 'penalties'? - I didn't. All I said was that the DVLA lookup, postage etc could be classed as a loss/expense. I never said anything about their PPC parking charge so why are you trying to educate me about it? I never said 'would', 'is' etc just that it could be.

No I am not blind!! You see I have seen the judgement, I actually paid Smithy an amount towards his costs.

Plain English PARKING EYE WON THE CASE!!!!!!!!!!

You cant be awarded costs if you lose! Otherwise people would be suing everybody for a £1 and £135 costs!!! Losing the claim and being paid cost's!

Read here! http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=49001389&postcount=305
  • The thread titled "Parking Eye lose"
    esmerobbo wrote: »
    Plain English PARKING EYE WON THE CASE!!!!!!!!!!

Trouble is, you are applying criminal court criteria to civil court proceedings. In these cases, it's not a win-or-lose, winner-takes-all scenario. Parking Eye won, in that they were awarded a sum relating to their losses, plus some nominal costs. But they lost in so far as they didn't get what they were trying to claim.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure