PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Super Foods, idea??

Options
As some of you may know its exams at school all this week. In order to give DS (14yrs) the best chance of keeping his sugar levels stable and having good concentration levels through out the day I need some extra super food ideas. Today he having,

Breakfast: Oat cereals, Fresh orange juice
Lunch: Tuna salad in wholemeal pitta, banana, apple, pot of fromage frais and a piece of HM fruit cake. Bottled flavoured water, which can be refilled.

Iam on the right track????

Thanks.
Rebel No 22

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    banana and carbohydrates are relaxing and sleep-inducing. I would give a bacon, egg breakfast with wholemeal bread. Nuts and raisins for a snack. Lunch is fine but I would make sure the banana is not too ripe as the sugars are released very quickly in a ripe banana
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I read somewhere that beans on toast was one of the best breakfasts to have before exams.I think protein at breakfast is important too.My ds1 is doing his KS2 sats next week and I'll be giving him beans/scrambled eggs and wholemeal toast.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I agree with thriftlady. A perfect breakfast for sustained concentration
  • Sharra
    Sharra Posts: 751 Forumite
    Options
    Apples are really good for keeping blood glucose levels stable but I would agree about the banana as they are quick sugar releasing - good for a burst of energy maybe just before the exam tho - I used to eat one half way thru long exams.
  • Lucie_2
    Lucie_2 Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The new scientist guide to brain power It also suggests beans on toast.
    I'm sure I read some where that fish & fried potatoes was some genius composers favourite breakfast! I'll see if I can dig it out from google......
  • Strepsy
    Strepsy Posts: 5,651 Forumite
    Options
    Great idea for a thread. My oldest is doing her KS2 SATs next week so I'm finding this really interesting and I'll be all set to give her the best concentration boost next week.
    I've been lucky, I'll be lucky again. ~ Bette Davis
  • Katgoddess
    Katgoddess Posts: 1,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Lucozade tablets are good for taking into long exams. That's what I take into my OU exams. Not very old style though I'm afraid.
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    For a drink Water/Milk rather than OJ as it has a lot of sugar and will spike your blood sugars quicker than just eating an orange.

Make sure they take a bottle of water in to the exams as well.

And no rustling sweets either. I once sat a exam and the it sounded like the person behind me was having a picnic :rotfl: And in a quiet exam room really gets on your wick.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • pollys
    pollys Posts: 1,756 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    My daughter has exams this week too, apparently science today was "not too bad" She had oats for breakfast and had a beef sandwhich (wholemeal bread) and fruit, not sure what she chose from the frutibowl probably kiwi.

Her school provided a bottle of water for each paper (morning and afternoon) I was very impressed.

Good Luck to all sitting exams this week.
    MFW 1/5/08 £45,789 Cleared mortgage 1/02/13
    Weight loss challenge. At target weight.
  • Quackers
    Quackers Posts: 10,157 Forumite
    Options
    kittie wrote:
    banana and carbohydrates are relaxing and sleep-inducing.

So the smoothie my daughter had this morning with banana, yoghurt, frozen raspberries, OJ & wheatgerm wasn't such a good idea :o

Oh well, you learn something new everyday.:D

She wont do hot food in the morning and doesn't like cereal so this is about the best I can do. She does have an oat bar though as well.
    Sometimes it's important to work for that pot of gold...But other times it's essential to take time off and to make sure that your most important decision in the day simply consists of choosing which color to slide down on the rainbow...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure