PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezing Milk

Comments

16011996 Posts: 8,313
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    i buy the squirty ones intubes, they freeze really well. pot yogurt does freeze, just need a god stir when defrosted.
  • There was mention in an earlier post about freezing milk - I've never actually done this, do you freeze it in the original containers or would it expand and split them? Is there any difference in the taste once it is thawed?

Sounds like something I should be doing as I almost always have to pop out during the week for milk, so it would save me time, petrol, and the cost of all the other stuff I invariably come back with!
  • mink35
    mink35 Posts: 6,068
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I freeze a 2 pint carton of semi-skimmed milk for emergencies. You need to thaw it for quite a while and shake it well but it doesn't taste any different. :D
    Mink
  • Beckipeg
    Beckipeg Posts: 138 Forumite
    Yup. Do this regularly with skimmed and semi - Farmfoods sell 2 x 2 litres for £1.50. Small pint plastic containers, cardboard cartons and most 2 litre bottles fine. One brand did split - just check that there's a little room for expansion as the milk freezes. It's fine when it thaws - leave to thaw in cold water if you want it to defrost a bit quicker.
    Beckipeg :)
  • ocemeer
    ocemeer Posts: 414 Forumite
    anybody had any joy freezing cream? can remember frozen cream in packets when i was younger and keep trying but having no success atm when defrosting it. :-/
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    I do not freeze milk - instead, I keep a few cartons of 1ltr "Long Life" milk in the utility room for emergencies.

Years ago my memory of "steri-milk" was of a vile obnoxious fluid - however, the Long Life you buy in cartons these days is very good, with a good "shelf life" on them - months!

If I've not used them up as they approach their use by life - I make custard/rice puds/blancmanges etc.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • I bought several 2 litre cartons of milk over xmas and new year - well they were reduced quite heavily!! Put them straight in the freezer, good job as ran out of milk and defrosted one - its being used successfully now!
    I also keep that long life stuff - now using it for yoghurt making as well!
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Oooh, halloweenqueen ... share your yogurt recipe which you make with the long life - I'd like a go at that.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • hilstep2000
    hilstep2000 Posts: 3,089 Forumite
    I freeze 4 pintas of semi-skimmed. Full fat isn't so good, but I also use long life, very handy in the cupboard! Only prob with freezing milk is the space it takes up!
    I Believe in saving money!!!:T
    A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

• There a thrread on here which I can never find on yoghurt making. Got a yoghurt maker from Lakeland for xmas about £20,I think. I just followed the advice given on here to warm a box of the milk (in a basin) to blood temperature, mixed in 2 tbs of milk powder and a tablespoon of live yoghurt (you can use your ownyoghurt once you get started) put it in the yog maker for 8 hours - delish fresh yoghurt! Tastes really nice I'm also trying out new recipes - gonna have stab at yoghurt smothered chicken! I am told you could probably use an airing cupboard instead of a yog maker but I don't have one!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure