Become a model... official MoneySavingExpert.com discussion

Comments

• marksta
    marksta Posts: 33 Forumite
    I am very interested in doing this as I work as a computer technician for a local college and I know that they do life drawing classes.

However my biggest concern is a rather embarrasing one and is holding me back from applying; what happens if I suddenly start...errr...."standing to attention" as it were? I can't imagine it happening but you never know with these things and most men would agree with me it can happen at any time without warning!!

The last thing I want is to be carted off by the police whilst they try to revive 3 elderly ladies who have keeled over with shock.

Still interested in doing it though as it seems quite easy money.
    LBM: May 2009: £21,896 in debt :eek:

Began DMP with Christians Against Poverty

Debt free: April 2014 :j:j
  • FrugalFriend
    FrugalFriend Posts: 217
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I used to go to life drawing classes, models need to:

* be able to stand still in one pose for long periods, (10-20 mins or longer)
    * be able to stick the cold/draughts (you're nude, everyone else has clothes on)
    * able to be completely relaxed and comfortable naked in front of a group of strangers, all of whom will be looking at every part of you more or less constantly.

I suggest going to a few life drawing classes to see how it's done. It doesn't matter if you're brutal at drawing or uninterested, pretend you are! Practice your poses at home first in front of partner, or mirror. Most important is you need to keep still; fidgeting, moving, shivering or shaking are all absolute no, no's!! Guaranteed to get on the nerves of art students and artists.
  • Hi all.

I'm aberdeenshire and Is interested in taking up modelling. Not the ones you see in the Sunday paper (haha) but I would love to be drawn or painted by students or early learners. It's something I've been keen on for a while but didn't know who or what to turn to. Luckily I got introduced to this site. And I tell ya it's really worth looking at.

I would not mind if it was at Uni/College or any outside classes. I'm not experienced in this role but I believe there is something special about me.

The problem is I live in a town and there is not much information about it.

Any help out there?
    x
  • cally6008
    cally6008 Posts: 7,629
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    smalltowngirl - get in touch with local unis, local college, adult education centres etc, get asking about, be proactive and go looking for the information you want
  • Thank you for that. I will go look after the new year. I will check with my local library too.

If there is any part of aberdeenshire you know of that does this, please let me know.

Happy New year, Hope it's a good one!!
  • smaltowngirl - you could try robert Gordon University or the local college...pretty sure the former runs an art course as I was toying with the idea of doing a Fine Art Postgrad there, and the latter has a lot of courses going on, so am presuming there's an art course...if you google them you'll probs find contact details :).

Hope this helps!

Oh - while I'm thinking about it, Aberdeen Uni did (not sure if it's still around) have an art society, but I think the pay would be low, if offered at all. No idea on that one, I'm afraid...
  • Dizzie77
    Dizzie77 Posts: 2,206 Forumite
    Just did a quick search and found this -
    http://www.abcol.ac.uk/courses/part-time/course-detail.cfm?course_id=728

Contact details on there for the tutor too....!
    Perhaps if they already have their models sorted, the tutor might be able to put you in touch with other classes?

Good Luck - it is very liberating...!!
    Why does nobody say Thank You anymore??:mad:
    Debt Free as of September 2011 :j
    Sealed Pot 2009 number 334 - £100 Saved! yey!!
    Sealed Pot 2010 number 334 - £116.51 Saved! Yey!! YIPPEE!!
  • bluphoto7
    bluphoto7 Posts: 82 Forumite
    edited 3 February 2010 at 10:37AM
    On a somewhat connected note, especially if you struggle to hold a pose for more than a few seconds, then there's a great demand for models to pose (both male and female, clothed and unclothed) for photographic enthusiasts.

Clothed normally gets you some really good images of yourself, though little to no money, but nude will earn you some decent cash, and abstracts, for example, can be very attractive, as well as anonymous!

Choose your photographers and ask for references and some examples of recent work first, of course, to establish that the photographer is above board, though most are, and that the photographers style and ability meets your expectations.

I've been shooting fine-art nudes (among other subjects) for the last five years and rates of pay can vary from £20 for a half day, up to £200 or more for a full day.

If you go to a professional studio for a portrait, then the images you get could cost you £100's, and may simply be "another transaction" to the photographer.
    By working with an enthusiast you have a much better chance that the images are every bit as important to the photographer as they are to you.

No photographer wants to show his model in a poor light, so this is also a great way to get some beautiful portraits of yourself, as well as boost your self-confidence.

Check out sites like modelmayhem, purestorm or visit a local camera club.

Guy - Aberdeenshire.
  • http://www.modelmayhem.com/

http://www.purestorm.com/

Just to help speed up going to the sites mentioned above.
  • marksta wrote: »
    I am very interested in doing this as I work as a computer technician for a local college and I know that they do life drawing classes.

However my biggest concern is a rather embarrasing one and is holding me back from applying; what happens if I suddenly start...errr...."standing to attention" as it were? I can't imagine it happening but you never know with these things and most men would agree with me it can happen at any time without warning!!

The last thing I want is to be carted off by the police whilst they try to revive 3 elderly ladies who have keeled over with shock.

Still interested in doing it though as it seems quite easy money.

Heh heh heh. Sorry. That's a legitimate concern. Well, I spent 5 years of my life staring at naked people (to draw them!!!} On Wednesdays we had 5 hours of life drawing. And yes, the bloke's bits do seem to have an independent life. But it's normal and natural; and something like life modelling, whether you are the model or the artist, does loosen you up about what "normal" is or is supposed to be. So don't worry about it. It's what bodies do. You probably won't be the first naked man those old ladies have ever seen, you know....!:)

I also did some modelling for photography students. It was harder doing it for friends, in a weird way! Room full of strangers? No problem.

Wish I'd warned my mum and dad when they came to see the degree show though. The first thing you saw when you entered the gallery was me in the nip. At 3OO% enlargement. :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure