technika tv/dvd just out of warranty, just died on me.

Hi, please could anyone offer help. I have a technika tv/dvd purchased in local Tesco store for £249.00 it suddenly decided to go black last night with red light flashing (motherboard propably) it is just out of warranty I have my receipt etc. i dont consider 1.2 years fair use and value, and can't afford another one due to loss of work, and it rankles with me that £250 is potentially going down the swanny!.
Any ideas?, other than tesco customer service etc (done that) so far response I have had is they are going to send me an out of warranty form out for me to return, which they said will make a % payment based on how long etc. (anyone any experience of this?) it all sounds a bit vague to me, so would it be useful to cause a nuisance of myself in local store etc?
Any help appreciated. Thanks, and happy new year to all.
John

Comments

• pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,039
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Tesco customer service are talking cr*p! Under the sale of goods act, you're entitled to a free repair for as long as what is deemed a reasonable shelf life for the product, up to a maximum of 6 years. I would expect a TV/dvd to last at least 3 years, so would say you're perfectly entitled to a free repair.

Go back to Tesco and tell them this.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    If I spent £249 on a tv/dvd id expect it to last longer than just over a year, id expect something worth £249 to last maybe 3/4 years
  • Takoda
    Takoda Posts: 1,846 Forumite
    Technika are their own brand of electronic stuff IIRC so a result to your problem should be easy to sort out even for Tesco!
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,392
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Check the Which website for their advice on durability. Go armed with the reference to The Sales of Goods Act, 1976 ( I think, but it'll be on the Which site, as well as somewhere here on Martin's site)

The Act clearly includes 'durability' as part of 'fitness for purpose".
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • thanks for comments so far, i will go into tesco tomorrow, with tv and have it out with em..! I am ready to take them to small claims court as well, as due to being on a currently v. low income, will prob get free legal aid and stuff to do this... (thats if it is required)... but stuff like this, I dont let it lie.
    Any more suggestions/support welcome.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    pinkshoes wrote: »
    Tesco customer service are talking cr*p! Under the sale of goods act, you're entitled to a free repair for as long as what is deemed a reasonable shelf life for the product, up to a maximum of 6 years. I would expect a TV/dvd to last at least 3 years, so would say you're perfectly entitled to a free repair.

Go back to Tesco and tell them this.

You are wrong, and Tesco are spot on. After the 'reasonable time' has elapsed where the customer gets to choose the remedy to the fault, the retailer can decide whether to replace, repair or refund. In the case of a refund, this can be proportional according to the age of the product and the expected lifespan of such a product.

john haigh, Tesco are fulfilling their legal obligations. If you create a nuisance of yourself in store, all that is likely to happen is that you will be removed from the store.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,039
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    dmg24 wrote: »
    You are wrong, and Tesco are spot on. After the 'reasonable time' has elapsed where the customer gets to choose the remedy to the fault, the retailer can decide whether to replace, repair or refund. In the case of a refund, this can be proportional according to the age of the product and the expected lifespan of such a product.

john haigh, Tesco are fulfilling their legal obligations. If you create a nuisance of yourself in store, all that is likely to happen is that you will be removed from the store.

But Tesco aren't offering a refund. They're asking the OP to pay a % of the repair, when he is entitled to a free repair, as it's only just over a year old.

They could also replace it, or they could refund a suitable amount.

I would say I was right.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • dmg24
    But Tesco aren't offering a refund. They're asking the OP to pay a % of the repair, when he is entitled to a free repair, as it's only just over a year old.

I would say I was right.
    they are going to send me an out of warranty form out for me to return, which they said will make a % payment based on how long etc.

You have misread the OP. They are not asking the OP to pay anything. They are going to pay him the proportionate amount.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • dmg24

I would say I was right.

Confirmation of Tesco's out of warranty policy (post two). Still sure you're right? :confused::p

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/computer-hardware-reviews-write/158159-acer-laptops-specifically-5100-a.html
    Gone ... or have I?
  • hi, thankyou to you both, food for thought from both, pink shoes, has a very similar line to that described and prescribed to me by the consumer advice website (who kindly replied to my email via the phone) they said that they should do the % ploy only after exploring repair/replace options. They told me to put it all in writing, which I will include with the out of warranty form.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure