PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Any ideas for an old style vegetarian dinner party menu?

Hi,

As times are a little tight I have offered to cook for some friends rather than going out for a meal. Normally I would cook a roast or something similar, however one of my friends is a vegetarian. I feel rather sorry for her as the past 2 times we have all gone out for a meal she has had a 'choice' of one rather sorry pasta dish while the rest of us have had fantastic food. So, I want to put the balance right by cooking a really nice, totally veggie 3 course meal for her and the rest of us.

I've been looking through my recipe books but am finding it hard to find complementary dishes that are not too heavy. I want to avoid pasta, and as my friend is pregnant some of the other dishes that sounded nice are out.

Please help if you can, being an avid carnivore means that my stock of fab veggie dishes is rather thin. :confused:
Aim: To clear debt in 2 years then start saving!
Debt at start (31/10/08): £21818.30 :eek:
Payments to date: £353.08 :j
Debt left to pay: £21465.22/£21818.30 :rolleyes:

Comments

• rockie4
    rockie4 Posts: 1,264 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    How about a selection of pates/dippers to start followed by a nice risotto?

Greek butterbean spread (serves 4)

1 small red onion, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    2 x 400g cans butter beans, drained and liquid reserved
    50ml lemon juice
    1 tbsp fresh mint, chopped
    2 tbsp fresh dill, chopped

- place all ingredients in a food processor and process until fairly smooth. Add a little liquid reserved from the beans to loosen the mixture if necessary

Carrot and parsnip pate (serves 8)

2 small parsnips (~270g), peeled and chopped
    2 carrots, peeled and chopped
    1 onion, chopped
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    1 tsp cumin seeds
    ½ tsp ground coriander
    ½ tsp paprika
    400g tin butterbeans, rinsed and drained
    1 tsp marmite
    1 tbsp lemon juice
    1 tbsp brown sugar
    2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander

- boil the parsnips and carrots until soft, then drain
    - meanwhile fry the onion and garlic until soft, then add the cumin seeds, ground coriander and paprika, and cook for 2 minutes more
    - put all the ingredients except the fresh coriander in a food processor and blend well
    - stir in the fresh coriander and season to taste

Butternut squash risotto

1 onion, chopped
    Half tsp of coriander
    Half tsp cumin
    150g Arborio rice
    500ml hot vegetable stock
    6oz butternut squash cut into small pieces
    1 courgette – diced
    2tbsp frozen peas
    Fresh parsley
    Seasoning

Soften onion in frylight, add spices then rice and stir.
    Add stock a ladle at a time and simmer for 10 mins.
    Add squash and courgette, keep adding stock, cook for a further 5 mins, add peas.
    When all stock absorbed and rice is tender and creamy, remove from heat and add parsley.

I usually add some Boursin to this but you can leave it out if your friend is pregnant, you can substitute the squash for broad beans, peas or courgettes if you like.

Do you need a pud?

Black forest dessert (serves 4)

4 trifle sponges
    400g tin black cherries in syrup
    2 tbsp kirsch (or kahlua)
    2 x 125g chocolate Alpro desserts

- put the trifle sponges in a glass dish
    - drain the cherries, reserving the syrup
    - mix the syrup with the kirsch, and pour over the sponge
    - top with cherries, then spoon over the chocolate dessert

Make a few hours ahead if possible, to allow the sponges to soak up the liquid

Hope these give you some ideas!
  • pretz_2
    pretz_2 Posts: 528 Forumite
    i think this might help you as today i brought delicious magazine and it has a vegetarian meal for 4 in it the menu is warm roast vegetable cous cous salad, aubergine parmigiano and cinnamon toffee apple wedges, however if you dont fancey any of these there is loads of vegetarian meals in the mag, pm if you want any recipes or more ideas
    hth
    pretz
  • Moozer wrote: »
    Hi,
    I feel rather sorry for her as the past 2 times we have all gone out for a meal she has had a 'choice' of one rather sorry pasta dish while the rest of us have had fantastic food. So, I want to put the balance right by cooking a really nice, totally veggie 3 course meal for her and the rest of us.

I've not got any bright ideas at the moment (i'll dig out my magazines in a mo and have a look for you) but can i just say :T:T:T for thinking of the veggie!!
  • Okay here's some ideas for you :) PM me if any sound interesting and I'll send you it.

Pepperpot puff pastry pie - a vegetable based pie, a bit spicy with a puff pastry top (topped with whole chillies so it looks fab!)

Rice cakes with braised fennel - 'stylish, risotto like cakes ideal for a crowd - can be mostly made ahead

Roasted vegetable tart

Creamy vegetable pasanda - creamy almond sauce based curry

Artichoke and wild mushroom pie (looks more like a tart to me)

If you've got a decent newsagent/big WHSmiths etc, you may be able to get hold of the BBC Good Food Vegetarian Christmas magazine. It's full of yummy stuff and despite the title isn't just for christmas - always has christmas day, family suppers, stuff for dinner parties, appetisers, puds etc.

Oh and just a final note... parmesan isn't generally vegetarian, so depending how strict she is it might be polite to leave this out/ use a veggie version from a healthfood shop.
  • Have got a great simple easy & cheap starter dortitos crisps & melt grated cheese on them..........lovely sorry thats only thing can think off at mo......:rolleyes:
    Save 1500 - (Monzo Card Pot by Dec 2021) 1020/1500 
    12 NSD MAY 3/12
    Lose 21lb by July .......................4 /21LB 
  • nickyhutch
    nickyhutch Posts: 7,596 Forumite
    ******** Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity *******
    "Always be calm and polite, and have the materials to make a bomb"
  • I don't eat meat and find that Mexican is a great meal that meat eaters and non-meat eaters enjoy. Nachos to start- tortillas topped with some melted cheese and salsa to start. For mains you can do a veggie chilli, spicy rice, refried beans, wraps, tacos, guacamole, sour cream and then just let people help themselves to whatever they like from it.
    :DYummy mummy, runner, baker and procrastinator :p
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Roasted red pepper houmus with hm tortillas or similar

goats cheese and tomato tart with seasonal veg

pud of choice.
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Roasted red pepper houmus with hm tortillas or similar

goats cheese and tomato tart with seasonal veg

pud of choice.
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • Moozer wrote: »
    Hi,

As times are a little tight I have offered to cook for some friends rather than going out for a meal. Normally I would cook a roast or something similar, however one of my friends is a vegetarian. I feel rather sorry for her as the past 2 times we have all gone out for a meal she has had a 'choice' of one rather sorry pasta dish while the rest of us have had fantastic food. So, I want to put the balance right by cooking a really nice, totally veggie 3 course meal for her and the rest of us.

I've been looking through my recipe books but am finding it hard to find complementary dishes that are not too heavy. I want to avoid pasta, and as my friend is pregnant some of the other dishes that sounded nice are out.

Please help if you can, being an avid carnivore means that my stock of fab veggie dishes is rather thin. :confused:
    i have a veggie curry recipe somewhere....i'll dig it out if you like?
    Time is the best teacher
    Shame it kills all the students
    :p
    *******************************************************************************************
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure