Central heating: oil vs bottled LPG

2»

Comments

• nande2000
    nande2000 Posts: 217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    GeekyGirl wrote: »
    Do you mean the green deal? That's just a loan though isn't it?

And with the bottled propane there won't be long term contracts.

True, but bottles are very expensive compared to Oil. I meant the RHPP which is coming to an end this month and is due to be replaced by the RHI or if that is delayed again, probably another RHPP.
  • donnalou
    donnalou Posts: 498 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Wow I wished 500 litres lasted me a year! It lasts a months in my case. Even when I was working it still only lasted for 2 months during the winter. We do live in a drafty old old semi detached cottage though.
  • nande2000 wrote: »
    The other option is of course an Air source heat pump. It will cost a bit more than a new oil boiler plus tank. But there have been government grants to cover that and im sure there will be more annouced next month.
    You would need to ensure the house is well insulated for it to be suitable.

I would strongly advise against LPG because of the ongoing costs and long term contracts you have to sign up to.

Whole heartedly agree. I'd rather fit storage heaters on E7 than ever consider LPG ever again. Oil is only better in that there are no contracts so you can shop around but is barely any cheaper. And if you run an oil fired AGA, Rayburn etc don't be surprised when 500litres of oil only lasts a month in winter...

I've always been a great advocate of renewables despite all the crtisism of them. Been monitoring my COP of late and for heating [not DHW - hence why considering ImmerSun] hovers around 4.1 to 4.7 which is refelcted in bills. I pay 9.45 inc vat for electricity. This makes it vastly cheaper than Oil, LPG, etc in fact the lot... The downside is the initial cost but as nande2000 rightly says the RHI grant will cover the capital cost when it starts.

And thats in a 100 odd year old house with high ceilings and basic insulation :) Being old it has deliberate drafts too :cool:
  • Your quote £1750 inc all boiler etc which company was that from? Thankyou
  • Sorry am new to posting my message was for Geekygirl thankyou
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family