Vaillant ecotec pro 28

Options
Hi

My Mum is looking to get a new boiler. She's had a quote for the above. I've tried to do some research on the internet about it and I'm slightly concerned that it seems to be recommended for flats and small houses. My Mum lives in a reasonably large three bedroom bungalow and I'm slight concerned it might not be powerful enough. Can anybody advise me or tell me how I can work out if it will be suitable?

Thanks

Gwen
Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending

Comments

• Canucklehead
    Options
    Hi.

I would go with the Ecotec Plus 831 or 837. When you say 'not powerful enough' do you mean for the heating side? If so then it would be fine ,it's the hot water side you want to watch for. Pro =11.5 l/m 831 =12.7 837 = 15.2 l/m.
    The Pro is the cheap end with 1 year warranty.
    What is the full spec?

GSR.
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • CarineG
    CarineG Posts: 157 Forumite
    Options
    I have a Vaillant Ecotec Pro 24 installed last year and can recommend the brand, I have had no problem since it has been installed 1.5 years ago.
    As for suitability of the one you have been quoted, I would think any professional would be able to advise you depending on the expected usage.
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    Options
    the boiler will be fine. most/all combis take ages to fill a bath. (the only downside).
    showers are no problem.
    Get some gorm.
  • BeauBelle
    BeauBelle Posts: 138 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Gwen

We had an Ecotec Plus 831 installed 2 years ago and its great!

Had a couple of issues with the flimsy dials coming off in DH hands! But its saved us a bomb.

We have a 4 bedroom townhouse and its cut our gas bills in half. Vaillents Customer service was great too, engineer out the following day both times.

Regards
    Kate
  • heating-eng
    heating-eng Posts: 723 Forumite
    edited 26 January 2010 at 3:44AM
    Options
    gwen80 wrote: »
    Hi

My Mum is looking to get a new boiler. She's had a quote for the above. I've tried to do some research on the internet about it and I'm slightly concerned that it seems to be recommended for flats and small houses. My Mum lives in a reasonably large three bedroom bungalow and I'm slight concerned it might not be powerful enough. Can anybody advise me or tell me how I can work out if it will be suitable?

Thanks

Gwen

the ecotec 28 pro is a good boiler ...and should be ok ..all depends on the flow rate req ..the bigger the boiler the better the flow
    the 28kw gives 11.5l/min with a 35 degree rise or 9.6l/min with a 42 degree rise

the 831 gives 12.7l/min @35 de and 10.6 l/min @42 degree rise
    X British Gas engineer and X BG sales adviser.
    Please don,t let this put you off.
  • fishhawks
    fishhawks Posts: 269 Forumite
    Options
    Eco -tec pro 28
    Very reliable boiler
    Mostly all I fit, although the new Ideal logic plus looks excellent and worth a look , also comes with a 5 year warranty instead of 2 price is good also .
    Waddle you do eh?
  • heating-eng
    Options
    fishhawks wrote: »
    Eco -tec pro 28
    Very reliable boiler
    Mostly all I fit, although the new Ideal logic plus looks excellent and worth a look , also comes with a 5 year warranty instead of 2 price is good also .

i like the Vaillant but i would never fit an ideal again after all the past problems they have had
    X British Gas engineer and X BG sales adviser.
    Please don,t let this put you off.
  • gwen80
    gwen80 Posts: 2,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry for not replying to this thread, have been caught up with other things. My Mum is still thinking of getting this boiler. I've heard lots of good things about Vaillant, so am happy with that. It's more if that particular boiler will provide enough heat/hot water for the house.

The house has three good sized bedrooms, kitchen, dining room, large living room, small-ish bathroom and good sized hallway. I was concerned because I'd read that this boiler was suitable for a flat or small (1-2 bedroom) house.

However, there is only one bathroom with a bath with electric shower over and of course, the kitchen sink, so I guess not too much hot water required, but I just don't want my Mum to get it put in and then realise it's not suitable.

Gwenx
    Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending
  • Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Options
    Hi.

I would go with the Ecotec Plus 831 or 837. When you say 'not powerful enough' do you mean for the heating side? If so then it would be fine ,it's the hot water side you want to watch for. Pro =11.5 l/m 831 =12.7 837 = 15.2 l/m.
    The Pro is the cheap end with 1 year warranty.
    What is the full spec?

GSR.
    Same opinion, but .
    Have the electric shower removed . Gas will be much cheaper for a shower.

GSR.
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • gas4you
    gas4you Posts: 2,602 Forumite
    edited 6 February 2010 at 8:28PM
    Options
    If you can go for the Ecotec Plus 831.

A lot better boiler, far more advanced in the way it works and a longer warranty.

You should be able to get at least a 3 year warranty if you find the right installer.

The Ecotec Pro, is a very basic cut down version of the boiler that was produced by Vaillant for the new build market primarily.

Trouble is these days, Vaillant still have good products, but the company and it's staff are near on useless.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure