MFI versus Howdens, your thoughts please

Hi
I have been reading through the threads about it being cheaper to get a new kitchen from Howdens instead of MFI, also read that some are the same kitchens.
Can anyone tell me which in Howdens is same as the speace cream in MFI.
My best friends fella is a joiner and works for the council so will be able to get me a discount from Howdens, so should work out cheaper.
Am I best getting a kitchen plan drawn up by MFI or from Howdens.
I am awaiting the keys to new house but want to try and get as much sorted before hand.
Thanks for any advice, also any tips welcome.
Thanks
Jules

Comments

• i know howdens used to make kitchens for MFI not sure if they still do. I had howdens do my kitchen plan with no problems.
  • Thanks for that.
    I know Howdens don't do the same names of kitchens as they are no longer associated with MFI but have been told they are still the same, just different names.
    It is so confusing and much haredr to pick than I thought, thinking about the layout, what wil I have in it etc etc
    As before any ideas appreciated.
  • andybed
    andybed Posts: 13 Forumite
    The Howdens version of the cream MFI Space kitchen is called Glendevon Cream.

My Builder has just sent a Howdens kitchen designer around to design a Kitchen in Glendevon cream and to tell the truth I wish I had gone to MFI for the design first.

The Howdens designer asked me what kitchen I wanted, what appliances/worktops/Sink etc but these weren't specific questions about manufacturer/Specification or design just whether I wanted Howdens to supply them. He didn't even ask if I wanted Soft Close Hinges or which handles I wanted. He designed the kitchen back at Howdens and then sent it to me in the post. My wife wanted a Larder Tower so I redesigned that part of the kitchen myself using the MFI price list and then phoned him up and ask him to change the design. Just had the new drawing and its better but I can't help think that if I had an input during the design it would have been so much easier.

I've read other posts on this forum that say that because MFI and Howdens are no longer owned by the same company, MFI will now try to match Howdens for price. So if your not tied to buying from Howdens (I am) I would get MFI to design the kitchen to your specification, get Howdens to match the design and then then take the Howdens price to MFI to see if they can match or beat it.
  • Thanks for that, i will now have another look in the Howdens brochure.
    I have been to MFI today to have my kitchen designed and really was not impressed.
    I said I would like some kind of table in the kitchen, all I got was an ah, don't know if you could do that. he never showed me any choice of cupboards, drawers or any of the things in the space cream design, ie the silver roll things, glass cabinets. hw just said what do you want where.
    I told him I wanted some ideas, help and inspiration of using the space I have best, he gave me no ideas.
    I don't really like the design he has done, there are no nice touches, just the basic stuff with integrated appliances.
    The cost even thought it says 50% off and an extra 20% off was 7500 including appliances or 4500 without them, all without fitting. I thought this was overpriced for what I have put in it.
    I don't have to go to Howdens, just that my friends fella can get a discount from them but so far with the experience of MFI I don't really have any confidence in them.
  • Just read your post again, he never asked me about handles, just put them on, not asking what kind, never metioned soft closing, seems we have had the same kind of service from different companies.

Jules
  • Iv'e copied the posts from the thread re MFI kitchens into this so any other ideas or advice greatly appreciated. I really need to start ordering my kitchen but all getting a little confusing.
    Some greta advice has been given but now in a quandry about the cream from Howdens as it is a bit different as posted below.

Hi
    My quote from MFI was 7500 yesterday which was nothing special and I have now changed the design, the guy wasn't very helpful.
    I have been looking at the Glendoven cream in the Howdens brochure and it looks like the side panels are different to the MFI ones, is this correct as I would like them the same as MFI.
    I too will have to look at getting the pan drawers from MFI as I really want them.
    I also want to get the small dot plinth lighting but don't know if this would be on the cream or solid wood plinth.
    £1900 still seems alot for 6 units and a sink or have I yet to realise just how expensive it is to have a new kitchen?
    Any ideas/advice welcome.
    Jules

We experianced the same thing with MFI first time around as well, when the guy quoted us £7400.00 he was not at al interested in lowring the price to close the deal.

Sorry my mistake in the end we actually brought 8 units in total which was

2 tall tambour wall units
    2 half height glass wall units
    2 half height wall units
    2 1000cm pan draws

these howdens do not sell.

The side panels are the same in Howdens as MFI, with a gloss finish.

I think you can put the plinth lights in an type of plinths, we brought the stainless steel plinths from howdens, they were £94.00, in MFI they were £495.00 and are identical.

We will be buying the plinth lights from B&Q an again they are for the fraction of the price of MFI.

hope this helps.

I'm currently waiting for a quote from Howdens for what was originally the Cream Glendevon.

Anyway now I've changed my mind to White Glendevon because according to the pictures on the howdens website and also those in the catalogue there's a difference between the MFI Cream space and the Howdens Cream Glendevon, namely the cornice around the top and bottom of the wall units has a round profile and is not the flush square edge as I've seen in MFI and its brochure. I phoned the designer today and he confirmed this so I'm going for white which seems the same as the MFI units.

Thanks hype and Andy, all this info is great when I haven't a clue what I am doing.
    What are the tall tambour wall units, when I go on the MFI website it says it is unable to show me images. Why did you go with their half height wall units, do Howdens not do them, is this the ones that you pull up instead of open to the side, if so I want a couple of these do and definatley some of the pan drawers, i just wish they were that big with three drawers like my friend has (different kitchen) so she can put her utensils in the top small but long drawer.
    Thanks about the side panels as in the Howdens brochure they are showing as wood.
    I will have a look at B&Q for plinth lights and def get the plinths from Howdens.
    Andy
    Soz for seeming a little stupies, I am looking in the Howdens brochure at the cram and can not see the differance between that and the white. Do you mean that the edging on the top goes over a little rather than being flush.
    I think I now see what you mean and can now see the differance.
    Now I haven't a clue what to do as I wanted cream and not white but I too want the clear defined edges.
    What to do now?

Thanking you for your replies.
    Jules
  • I have copied this from a reply I sent to someone else... sorry to repeat but it seems howdens v mfi is a hot topic!

ALSO!!! Tesco Clubcard have stopped the MFI Deals in April, gutted as
    we had over £720 in deals, and were going to buy a new oven/hob for our
    new kitchen, but now we are using to go on holiday!

Okay a bit more info for you.

MFI used own Howdens until last year they sold it off, MFI where not making much profit, don't understand that one!

Anyway, Howdens still supply to MFI and to TRADE.
    I know someone with an account who fit's kitchens so I get full discount on
    EVERYTHING.

I know some of the prices look high but the quality I am told is good and 90% of their kitchens come pre-built.

You can ask Howdens to measure for you and in return your builder/fitter gets a detail list of everything, price list and 3d colour drawing of what it may look like.

We are currently looking to replace our kitchen with EVERYTHING integrated and yes that costs a lot more!!!

In total we are saving about £4,000 off the list price, that's over 14 cabinets, including pull out larder, corner base pull out thingy!, hob/oven, extractor, Hotpoint diswasher, Washer/Dryer, Fridge/Freezer and all the finishes.

We went to MFI and compared prices and howdesn are cheaper... the person who has the account with howden also said he is going to try and haggle even more!

I would not go to B&Q nor Focus!

Well we will keep you posted of what happens ....

Good Luck!
    KTheGaffer

UPDATE:
    They also have a website http://www.the-kitchen.co.uk/ which is the trade version.
    The Howdens.com is brand new and is not fully completed.
  • Liz1966
    Liz1966 Posts: 137 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I would not go to B&Q nor Focus

Aren't the kitchens at B&Q the same as the ones at MFI?

I bought the 'Beech style' kitchen doors from B & Q & they are indistinguishable from MFI's 'Copenhagen' range. It's quite an unusual detail on the door.

I'm getting to the stage where I'm never going to be able to decide where to buy my kitchen!
  • soya
    soya Posts: 80 Forumite
    Oh yes Liz~
    I found all shops do similar or just identical doors - just different names.
    Anyone know ranges from Omega better or same quality/price as Intuition?
  • djohn2002uk
    djohn2002uk Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    KTheGaffer wrote: »
    -

Okay a bit more info for you.

MFI used own Howdens until last year they sold it off, MFI where not making much profit, don't understand that one!

The reason being that MFI didn't sell Howden.

From The Guardian Saturday September 23, 2006

The loss-making MFI retail chain was yesterday sold for a nominal sum of £1 to a private equity firm which is promising to return the 200-strong operation to its former glory. As a result of the long-awaited transaction, the stock market-listed company MFI is changing its name to Galiform and planning to embark upon a rapid expansion of its builders merchants, Howden.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure