Can i resign while on sick leave

I usually post on here under a different name but want to remain anon for this matter, because one of my collegues is a frequent visitor to the site.:eek:

If i resigned while on sick leave, could my employer withhold company sick pay? I am not entitled to SSP coz the job is only part time and i dont work enough hours a week or earn enough to qualify. Also, would i be able to attend an interview for another job while on sick leave? Sorry if these are silly questions!

Comments

• dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Hi Sharon,

Yes, you can resign whilst on sick leave. Whether your employer can withhold sick pay whilst on your notice period will really depend on your contract, but if it is not stipulated in there then, no they cannot.

There is nothing to stop you attending a job interview whilst on sick leave, though I would be weary on letting your current employer find out if you are needing a reference from them.

Good luck x
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Thanks dmg24 - no my contract doesnt state anything about withholding sickpay so that sounds promising:D It will also save a lot of hassle and dagger looks i am likely to get if i can just resign whilst away (coward i know!) Do you think i should phone and tell my boss then follow it up with a letter confirming it, or just send the letter?
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Depends on how friendly you are with your boss. If you want to remain on good terms, and you feel that you can talk to your boss, then I would do a phone call (or an email? Slightly easier option!). If not, just a polite letter.

I don't think you are a coward. I resigned whilst on long term sick, everybody said that I would be better to go back just to show myself I could do it if I wanted to, but I just figured why put myself through it? As long as you know you are doing the right thing, that is all that matters x
    Gone ... or have I?
  • sharondt wrote:
    Also, would i be able to attend an interview for another job while on sick leave? Sorry if these are silly questions!
    Of course, some companies may question how somebody is so sick they can't come to work yet can go for an interview. I suppose it would depend on the type of work involved.
    Fog on The Tyne isn't mine all mine... but if I wanted it, I'd want it with a discount code.
  • Above advise is all good and to the point. I would personally write a letter of resignation and sign it - hardcopy is always a nice fullstop and can be added in your employee file. It also provides a specific date on which your resignation was made. I would have someone pop it round to the office on your behalf as the Royal Mail is not 100%.
    Integrity is a dying art!:p
  • raq
    raq Posts: 1,716 Forumite
    dmg24 wrote:
    Hi Sharon,

Yes, you can resign whilst on sick leave. Whether your employer can withhold sick pay whilst on your notice period will really depend on your contract, but if it is not stipulated in there then, no they cannot.

There is nothing to stop you attending a job interview whilst on sick leave, though I would be weary on letting your current employer find out if you are needing a reference from them.

Good luck x

Friend of a friend applied for a job last year whilst on sick leave and got the job. She hated her previous job but the company gave her a referenceand it was fine because they wanted her out. The reference was a bog standard one. They wanted her out anyway because her sick record.
    :A Tomorrow's just another day - keep smiling
  • inkie
    inkie Posts: 2,609
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Yes you can and I did. However, what you might like to bear in mind is are there any factors within your current employment that have caused you to go if sick and look for another job? Constructive dismissal i'm thinking..
  • sharondt
    sharondt Posts: 24 Forumite
    The reason im leaving is that i sustained an injury which resulted in me needing surgery (im currently on a waiting list). Im thinking of resigning after the op which will require me to have about six weeks off. The job i do requires lifting and i will be looking for something much lighter, but not within the same company.
  • found these posts very helpful. I am currently in a similar position. after being bullied/criticized/go at at work for the last 18mths I am off sick with depression. At the moment I feel I can not go back into that environment and dont really know what to do for the best
  • Googlewhacker
    Googlewhacker Posts: 3,887 Forumite
    julespw wrote: »
    found these posts very helpful. I am currently in a similar position. after being bullied/criticized/go at at work for the last 18mths I am off sick with depression. At the moment I feel I can not go back into that environment and dont really know what to do for the best

Welcome to the boards, I would suggest you start your own post and give a bit more information, such as time, what you have done to try and resolve problems etc and people will be along to advise.
    The Googlewhacker referance is to Dave Gorman and not to my opinion of the search engine!

If I give you advice it is only a view and always always take professional advice before acting!!!

4 people on the ignore list....Bliss!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport