PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

pasata sauce stuff what can i do with it???

sent dh shopping a few weeks ago and he came back with four big jars of passata sauce
what can i do with it? i tried putting it on pasta but it was a bit like water!!! any ideas much appreciated
sorry if its been done before dont know where to start with looking x

Comments

• zombiecazz
    zombiecazz Posts: 535 Forumite
    stir fry up some veg like chopped onions, mushrooms, peppers and garlic, add the passata and cook down to make pasta sauce.
    add it to mince or any meat to make a tomato sauce. just needs cooked down a bit.
    "A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining, but wants it back the minute it begins to rain." Mark Twain
  • Reformed
    Reformed Posts: 230 Forumite
    Peel 3 onions and slice into chunks. Heat in some olive oil in a casserole dish, when coloured add 3 cloves of crushed garlic, a couple of by leaves and a few pinches of fennel seed. Fry 6-8 pork sausages, mix up with the onion mixture, add 500g of passata and some wholegrain mustard. Season with salt and pepper, add 2-3 tins of drained cannelli/butter beans, simmer for 20 mins. Add mustard to your taste... delicious.
  • r.mac_2
    r.mac_2 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    i would use it in place of tinned tomatoes - so casseroles, currys, chillis, pasta sauces etc. It just needs cooking down/thickening up a little.

if you can't use it all it will keep well unopened or if opened, put any spare in the freezer.

HTH
    aless02 wrote: »
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response :p
  • Add chopped onions, a little garlic, herbs, etc.
    Place some chicken breasts/ portions in and cook in the oven.
    180 deg. for 30-45 mins till chicken is cooked. This will help thicken the passata if it is watery.
    You can add a can of sweetcorn or chickpeas 10 mins before the end of cooking to make it go further.
    This recipe can be frozen.
    I always do enough for 3 of 4 meals for the family.
    Really useful if you get "cheep!!!" chicken.:rolleyes:
    Start by doing what's necessary, then do what's possible and suddenly you are doing the impossible:j
    Christmas is not a time but a state of mind :xmassmile
    Trying.....Very trying- as my DH would say :whistle:
    Loving de-cluttering :heart:
  • angelavdavis
    angelavdavis Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Add it to fried mince, garlic and onions, add some chopped veg - let it simmer for 30 minutes or so and hey presto - bolognaise!

As has been mentioned, use it instead of tinned tomatoes. I find it makes a richer sauce.

You can also add it to onions, garlic and chilli. Add some chopped courgettes and again, allow to cook down. Toss some cooked spaghetti in the sauce and top with grated parmesan cheese for pasta arrabiata.

Also, you can add it to curry to make the sauce richer.
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport