Storage auctions in the UK?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self_storage#Storage_auctions

These appear to be quite popular in the States, is there an equivalent over here?

Looking at the T&C for a few of these storage places, you give them the right to sell your stuff if you don't pay, so I guess they do auction them, I've just not been able to dig up any info on this.
They say it's genetic, they say he can't help it, they say you can catch it - but sometimes you're born with it

Comments

• geo555
    geo555 Posts: 787 Forumite
    They would probably just send the goods to a local auction house.
    (".)
  • Auntie-Dolly
    Auntie-Dolly Posts: 1,008 Forumite
    We used to get house clearance people in as most of the stuff wasn't worth much.
  • tilley441
    tilley441 Posts: 94 Forumite
    did you find anything out about them?
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I've never heard of any storage companies here doing it, as another poster said they'd probably just use a local auction house if anything was worthwhile or sell on to a salvage dealer. The closest we had here was British Rail and Royal Mail lost property auctions but these seem to be not as prevalent as they were. Royal Mail actually started using Ebay, not sure if they still do. A lot of the ones I know that used to take place cancelled contracts with the auctioneers as they ended up not being viable. There are still some dotted around the country.
  • police auctions are bigger here and worth checking it
  • JohalaReewi
    JohalaReewi Posts: 2,614 Forumite
    There are also lost luggage auctions. Bit smaller and cheaper than a storage locker!
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,184 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I am addicted to the storage wars type programme but I cannot believe the prices that the US sellers get for rubbish items.

Strangely enough when I last paid my storage bill for my business storage I joked that if I was late they might sell my locker- and they said they actually do- but they cannot even serve notice on it for 90 days! So someone somewhere is selling them.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • MONEY_DUDE wrote: »
    police auctions are bigger here and worth checking it
    Here's a good website for police auctions: https://www.bumblebeeauctions.co.uk/
  • slapmatt
    slapmatt Posts: 104 Forumite
    soolin wrote: »
    I am addicted to the storage wars type programme but I cannot believe the prices that the US sellers get for rubbish items.

A lot of the "values" are nonsense.

On one I saw there was a stack of about 10 DVDs and the guy said "there's 50 bucks" and three fishing rods each with a price tag of $129 and he claimed "these are worth $350", as if people really pay retail prices at a secondhand shop.

Rick Harrison would have something to say about their claimed prices!
  • soolin wrote: »

Strangely enough when I last paid my storage bill for my business storage I joked that if I was late they might sell my locker- and they said they actually do- but they cannot even serve notice on it for 90 days! So someone somewhere is selling them.

I spent a whole day over Christmas watching 'Auction Hunters'. Shame they didn't intersperse the great finds with a few dud ones :).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure