PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Powdered Egg?

I've searched and can't find anything about powdered egg on the OS board.

I'm a recent convert to powdered milk and wondered if powdered egg is freely available, as I think it could be a very useful store cupboard item, for using in baking etc. I'd still want to use fresh eggs if I was making an omelette.

I'm pretty sure I haven't seen any powdered egg in my local co-op, the only place I've seen anything similar is the powdered vegan egg alternative in health food shops.

Does anyone use powdered egg / know where to get it / know if its cost effective? I've googled without much luck too.
"Then, when every last cent
Of their money was spent,
The Fix-it-Up Chappie packed up
And he went."

Dr Seuss

Comments

• lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I seen it in Tescos today but had never used it so didn't risk buying it. Would be interested in responses from those who have used it aswell.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • ChocClare
    ChocClare Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    I have got a packet of it sitting in my cupboard (I thought I'd have it as a standby too!) but haven't used it yet. It was quite expensive - £1.98 for quite a small packet. It was in the baking aisle at Tesco's.

However, in The Tightwad Gazette, the lovely Mrs Dacyczyn advocates using one heaped tablespoon of soya flour and one tablespoon of water in place of each egg in baking - and I HAVE used this, and it worked very well: the cake was a little heavier than usual, but rose very well, and I think this was probably because "a heaped tablespoon" is not really an exact amount - next time I'll probably use a rounded tablespoon rather than a heaped one.

A packet of soya flour from our local health food shop (which is hardly the cheapest place in the world) was about the same price for about four times the amount. So now I have some in an airtight jar in the cupboard, which should hopefully last a lot longer than the powdered egg, which, I seem to remember, had a fairly short shelf life. OK, so you wouldn't use soya flour and water in a chocolate mousse, but then I'm not sure I'd use powdered egg there anyway...
  • I am sure Black Saturn mentioned using it quite recently. I thought it was expensive too, but it's advantage is that it lasts a long time.

I've used the soya flour substitue too ;)
  • mrs_baggins
    mrs_baggins Posts: 1,290 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have used powdered egg white ok in recipies. You can get it in tesco - i think it was in a little box from supercook but may be wrong on the name
  • Morning Tallulah,my gran used to swear by powdered egg in all her cakes,she never used fresh eggs.I have used it a few times and I have to say the cakes were lovely,just like grans :D
    You can buy it in Tesco alongside the coconut/raisins/dried fruit etc,mine is in a tub like gravy granules.I haven't seen it in Asda.
    LIH
    Debt at highest £102k :eek:
    Lightbulb moment march 2006
    Debt free october2017 :j
    Finally sleeping easy in my bed :A
  • LJM
    LJM Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    we have a shop that sells loose dry ingridients,which works out quite cheap as you can just weigh and buy the amount you need,have you any shops near you like this
    :xmastree:Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life :xmastree:
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    WOW thanks for the soya flour tip!!! I had no idea!!! Particularly good for my OH who has high-but-reducing cholestrol & hes not meant to have eggs!

Cheers gang :beer:
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • bordercars
    bordercars Posts: 1,353 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    just back from tesco's they had supercook whole egg powder on offer, normally 1.97 now 49p. they say use as an egg, anyone got any experience of, or any reciepes please.
    Div 1 Play Off Winners 2007
    CCC Play Off Winners 2010
  • phizzimum
    phizzimum Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    sorry I can't be of any help, but I'm waiting to see what other replies you get. I've never noticed powdered egg in the supermarket before - but then again I've never looked for it. I'm quite intrigued as DD has been learning about WW2/rationing etc for school. I might get some egg to try it out!
    weaving through the chaos...
  • bordercars
    bordercars Posts: 1,353 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    i hope im not getting it fed to me as scambled, but if it goes in a cake that will be rather nice. has anyone used tho
    Div 1 Play Off Winners 2007
    CCC Play Off Winners 2010
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family