Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Plastic bottle tops

Does anyone know of a local charity (south-east Kent) that collects tops from plastic milk bottles. I was recently told that a charity I had been saving for didn't actually want them!! I've encouraged others to save, and I now have a huge sack full of tops!. Is this just a nasty scam?

Comments

• You may find this thread of use:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=250493&highlight=

Did you ask the charity why they no longer wanted the plastic bottle tops?
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,938
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    And had they actually ever been collecting them?

I don't know if it's a scam or an urban myth that there's money in plastic bottle tops, but if you are collecting something for a charity it's always worth checking first or periodically that they are definitely (still) interested.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Can the OP help to solve this mystery?
  • The mystery continues. No one can explain why it's always plastic milk bottle tops and not a more valuable recyclable such as steel or aluminium drinks cans?
  • Can the OP help to solve this mystery?
    LizzieM1 has left the building. I hope she returns.
    Are you for real? - Glass Half Empty??
    :coffee:
  • Nada666
    Nada666 Posts: 5,004 Forumite
    Could this be a dated phenomenon? And no-one has the heart to tell the bright-eyeds when they roll in their balls? In the olden days (not too many decades into the previous century) foil caps were pretty much all foil (rather than the plasticky hybrids that have replaced them.) Nearly everyone drank milk and it was a universal way that all children in a class or group could contribute to the collection. And in those days fizzy-pop cans were a luxury - they were not bought regularly. Fizzy pop was only bought by families in 750ml or larger glass bottles. So not everyone could collect empty cans. (Course, doesn't explain lack of food tins - didn't have health and safety worrying about children ripping their hands apart on edges - so that blows up this theory.)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure