Anybody Done LGV Training Recently?

Comments

• When I was doing the same kind of search I came across clear stone myself but I thought that it may not be the best selection because its the first on the search engines so I continued my search.

I eventually came across Pathway HGV & LGV Training. It seems like a great company to go through and has a lot of feedback from recent people who used the company. The information itself seems great and would love to try it out, but want to know if anyone else has experience this company themselves.

Hopefully you guys can give me some great feedback, and maybe presuaded others to take on this challenge with me!
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    I eventually came across Pathway HGV & LGV Training. It seems like a great company to go through and has a lot of feedback from recent people who used the company. The information itself seems great and would love to try it out, but want to know if anyone else has experience this company themselves.

Hopefully you guys can give me some great feedback, and maybe presuaded others to take on this challenge with me!

From their website..
    • You’ll get real Job Security: One of the few jobs left where life long Job Security is a reality.
    • You can earn a High Income: As a qualified driver you can take home £420-£600 a WEEK. You’ll quickly change your lifestyle and start enjoying the good things in life.
    • You can retire early: You may be able to retire early and in comfort with a secure pension.
    • You’ll enjoy company perks: you’ll benefit from a great company pension scheme, up to 25 days holiday per year, medical insurance and lots more.
    • Freedom at work: As an LGV driver you will enjoy flexible hours. You can work where you want and when you want, evenings, weekends, nine to five, it’s your call.
    • Excellent career progression: You’ll enjoy a career not just a job. With increasing experience you can take your career to more senior and higher paid positions. Its your choice!
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA

What a crock of rubbish.
    High income my !!!. £600 take home - yeah if you do a 74 hour week with 5 nights out.
    Where are these companies that offer pension and medical?
    Freedom at work? Riiiight. You can work where and when you want? Another crock of rubbish. I have yet to ever come across a single 9-5 HGV driving job. No such thing exists.
    Career progression? I've been in it 15 years. There is no career progression. There's driver and then there's non driving jobs in the traffic office.

Post on trucknet about Pathways and see what they tell you.
  • Conor_3
    Lorry driving sucks big style. It's getting worse year on year. They keep changing the rules and the traffic keeps getting worse and it's now at the point where you need to set off at 4am to get anywhere.
    There's nowhere to park up on a night because the truckstops are closing down and the motorway services keep reducing the size of the HGV parks.

Just remember that once you've done a couple of years, you can forget getting any job outside of haulage because you'll be tarred with the "thicko" brush that we all are thanks to Joe Publics perception of us.
  • I have to agree with everything you say Conor, and i've been doing it for 30 and a few years.

There are one or two companies that pay well, reimburse for medicals/digicards etc, and i'm lucky enough to work for one (car transporters), BUT its dead mans shoes i'm afraid and i had near on 20 years of exactly what you have said before being in the right place at the right time.
    And i still work very hard for the money, which is very good but you dont earn big bucks sitting in the cafe (if you can find one), and it will probably all end very soon anyway when johnny foreigner has reduced the wage potential to bare minimum (on that subject when will the people of this country wake up).

Your dead right about the general attitiude to us though, and for the last 30 years, when filling in official forms that need your social status (note how people who work for a living come last, no change there then) i have been crossing out all the possibilities and have written across every one ''scum of the earth lorry driver'', stupid i know but them i'm a realist like you.
  • Conor wrote: »
    Just remember that once you've done a couple of years, you can forget getting any job outside of haulage because you'll be tarred with the "thicko" brush that we all are thanks to Joe Publics perception of us.

Do any job for a couple of years and you can forget about getting a job outside that area. This week an agency tried to press some catering work on me because it was on my CV, 8 years ago.

Financial help doesn't appear to exist to anyone who's actually trying to better themselves only those who want to do nothing. Me and my girlfriend are claiming a few thousand a year in tax credits, but try and get some help to get a job that would pay enough to not need that money off the government and no-one knows
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    When you apply for a LGV provisional, do you have to send off your old paper car licence, and do they then send you a new photo licence which includes car and provisional LGV, or do you get a photocard purely for the LGV provisional seperate from your car licence? Just wondering if I will get a shiny new car licence as my old paper one is past its best.

The theory for the LGV costs about 35 quid, How do you study for it? - just buy a book or are there courses? Do you have to have an LGV provisional before you take the theory?

How long does an LGV provisional last? What are the consequences of say not passing your LGV practical within 2 years?

I see that clearstone has gone out of business, and all they did apparently was to refer you to a local training school - well I can do that myself thanks and by the sounds of it save myself £400 by doing it myself.

Pathway, does not say on its website where you will do your training, so it sounds like just another referring agent to a local school near you.
  • Conor_3
    Yes, you have to send off your paper licence. LGV and car licences have been combined for decades now.
    You study for the theory test the same way you do for a car one. The better schools have materials you can loan.
    Provisional lasts until you need your next medical so its dependent on your age. I've still got my Cat D provisional that I got with my HGV provisional application 18 years ago and it lasts until 2014.
  • banger9365
    banger9365 Posts: 1,702
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    first off you have to do a medical for the licence at the doctors it cost money befor you can apply for the provisional and that lasts until your 45 and then a medical again every 5 years until you pack in work or unfit to drive a hgv and i think i changes when your 65 to every year.
    put the laws are changing again in 2009 ?put us lot that already have it get grandfather rights until 2014

and there no guarantee that they will let you have a LGV provisional licence aswell ,a m8 of mine was touch and go when he applyed because he has drink driving on his car licnece and it took months for them to decided where he could has one or not and he had to go and see the traffic commissioner too (scary)put i do not think it's common and it was over ten years ago
    there or their,one day i might us the right one ,until then tuff

• Wig wrote: »
    When you apply for a LGV provisional, do you have to send off your old paper car licence, and do they then send you a new photo licence which includes car and provisional LGV, or do you get a photocard purely for the LGV provisional seperate from your car licence? Just wondering if I will get a shiny new car licence as my old paper one is past its best.

The theory for the LGV costs about 35 quid, How do you study for it? - just buy a book or are there courses? Do you have to have an LGV provisional before you take the theory?

How long does an LGV provisional last? What are the consequences of say not passing your LGV practical within 2 years?

I see that clearstone has gone out of business, and all they did apparently was to refer you to a local training school - well I can do that myself thanks and by the sounds of it save myself £400 by doing it myself.

Pathway, does not say on its website where you will do your training, so it sounds like just another referring agent to a local school near you.

i have just done my training with pathway and yes it was with a local training school perth hgv i did both class 2 and class 1 with them they are really good well happy passed both first time pathway sorted every thing out for me theory test book cd rom all over the phone no hard sale just some one that answered all my questions you will pay more using companys like this but it does make it easy if you stay near perth scotland i would use perth hgv they are good it's there company they put the efort in so you pass first time i had never driven a lorry before they made it relaxed and fun along with being safe you need the 4 days training test on day 5 if your not near perth pathway is good i was happy with the service i got cheers ianjnr
  • gner_ex
    gner_ex Posts: 285 Forumite
    To you people thinking of doing category C - do it before September, as from September 2009 onwards Driver CPC comes into play (doesn't matter if you do C+E after then). Pass before then, and you're effectively exempted from it. See http://www.drivercpc.org/ for info.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure