Vauxhall Radio "SAFE" mode

I've had a look through the forum (but the search doesn't seem to be working) so I'll ask here. My mum has a Vauxhall Astra and I think that my dad has done something with the battery and the radio won't work. I think he has then further compounded the problem by trying to enter the code (and failing). The radio now displays "SAFE" on the screen when switched on, but obviously does not work. I have left it switched on overnight (the manual says you have to leave it on for 620 minutes if all code attempts have been used) so my assumption is it is now "locked". I have the code, but how do I get the radio to accept it? Anyone help?

Comments

• This has happened to me and if you have the radio instruction book it does tell you in there. I don't have muy book on me right now but it is definately in there.

Sorry I couldn't be anymore help
    "That's a big 10 - 4 Good Buddy"
    £2 Coin Savers Club
    2006 - £1180 Banked
    2007 - £110 Banked
  • stripeyfox
    stripeyfox Posts: 474 Forumite
    Thanks. I think I have followed the instruction book. It gives a number of attempts and after the last one (either wrong code or switching off before allowing SAFE mode to expire) the it becomes "permanently" locked and the book says take it to your vauxhall dealer so they can rip you off (sort of).

Is there a way around this? What will the dealer do that I cannot do myself?
  • ohdear_4
    ohdear_4 Posts: 59 Forumite
    Hi, to get the code accepted. press AS and then a couple of seconds later the 'on' button, together until it beeps. you will see 4 dashes. each dash is a number from your code. Use the numbers along the radio (1 is first number in code, 2,3 and 4 the other numbers), at this stage you will see what I mean. When you see your code o the screen press as until it beeps.

I hope this helps, it's about as techincal as i get!!

http://www.cavweb-forums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=69542

Just found this if this helps too.
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    And as I remember it, say the code is 5432

press button '1' 5 times
    button '2' 4 times
    button '3' 3 times
    button '4' 2 times
  • Cumbrian_Male
    Cumbrian_Male Posts: 1,513 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    dont know if it still works but in years past if you put in wrong code it would lock out for 30 mins 1 hour 10 hours etc but if you just disconnect the battery again you go back to square 1 so not waiting 620 minutes, IYKWIM
    got to be worth a try.
    I have a cunning plan!
    Proud to be dealing with my debts.

• golddustmedia
    golddustmedia Posts: 835 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If you normally get your car serviced at Vauxhall they'll probably sort it out for free. VW certainly do that with my radio.
  • Please could someone help me to unlock my radio , all the info i have is:
    vdo cdr 500
    vauxhall stereo
    gm050021393504

kind regards
    jules
    x
  • wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    Please post in 'sticky' top of page
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors