Problems with CapQuest Debt Recovery Ltd

Comments

• stapeley
    stapeley Posts: 2,315 Forumite
    If you have made a payment within the last 6 years the debt is not time barred . My advice is to send out a CCA request and also request a Notice of assignment . If they can not supply these , I would not pay them a penny .
  • i have been harrassed by crapquest for the last 18 months for a debt that was settled 18 months ago.They've still got my paperwork confirming payment,yet i received today a threat of bankruptcy and doorstep collection.i phoned them today and said i'm going to take the matter further and sue them for for distress[genuine]and anxiety.I'm not going to let the matter drop,i'm going to harrass them now.
  • I have, out of the blue received a red letter from Capquest asking me to pay a debt to powergen for £142.00 from 2002. If i dont pay within 7 days court will follow.

I rang them and explained that i had paid this off two years ago to Wescot (I have proof of pmt by statements) Crapquest want me to send proof to them.

1. I dont think if am legally obliged to send Capquest anything, isnt it up to them to prove i owe this debt? and not for me to prove i dont?

2.I will not send them personal statements and told them to contact Powergen and Wescot directly. I spoke to Powegen and they havent sold my debt to Crapquest and havent actioned the account since 2006.

3.Westcot have not sold it to them either and confirmed it was paid in full, so where the hell have they got my details from?

Should i just wait for them to take it to court and show the judge proof of payment? :rolleyes:
  • shinyhead
    shinyhead Posts: 422 Forumite
    I have, out of the blue received a red letter from Capquest asking me to pay a debt to powergen for £142.00 from 2002. If i dont pay within 7 days court will follow.

I rang them and explained that i had paid this off two years ago to Wescot (I have proof of pmt by statements) Crapquest want me to send proof to them.

1. I dont think if am legally obliged to send Capquest anything, isnt it up to them to prove i owe this debt? and not for me to prove i dont?

2.I will not send them personal statements and told them to contact Powergen and Wescot directly. I spoke to Powegen and they havent sold my debt to Crapquest and havent actioned the account since 2006.

3.Westcot have not sold it to them either and confirmed it was paid in full, so where the hell have they got my details from?

Should i just wait for them to take it to court and show the judge proof of payment? :rolleyes:

You're dead right-if, as you say, this has been paid AND you can prove it then sit back and wait for them to take you to court.
  • Thank you very much for replying! (wasnt sure how to create a new post on here).

would i not get into trouble for not sending them the proof by the Courts?

I would prefer to show the judge my personal info, not them? I think i might have some fun with this one.

What sort of letter should i send them please? I have to show willing if i am to claim my expenses from them in court.

Many thanks.
  • Yup, it is for them to proove that you owe, not you to prove you don't ( a negative) Once they have confirmed its exactly the same debt that you have already discharged then they will be on a loser. BUT, the remedy of action appears to lie with the OFT and ICO not the individual, however you could counter claim costs against them.

IMHO they are fishing, and wont pursue this further, especially if they get an inkling that you know your rights.
    [strike]Debt @ LBM 04/07 £14,804[/strike]01/08 [strike]£10,472[/strike]now debt free:j

Target: Stay debt free
  • I tell you one thing, i ripped their heads off on the phone! Told it was upto them to prove i owe it, not for me to prove i dont.
    do you think i should send the letter in red on this page to them? it sounds a brilliant letter! or maybe that wouldnt apply to my case?

thank you for replying again.
  • One other question, my former debt, paid to westcot ended two years ago. Would i be able to send them the first letter shown above in RED? My debt of 142.00 was with Powergen, so would that letter still apply to me if i wanted to send it? someone said that utilities dont come under the credit agreement act??? any advice please. I would LOVE to send them that letter.
  • Without going into too much detail has anybody got an email address for this company...i tried faxing them and got NOT AVAILABLE reply, i also rang but got a very obnoxious character who wouldnt listen to what i had to say except "when are you going to pay" i also wrote a letter but no reply...i ask all this as i now live in thailand and they keep harrassing my sister as that was a previous address...all i want to do is tell them that i no longer live in the uk and to refrain from threats to a member of my family...you might say that it doesnt matter as i'm not there but i dont want her to be put through any of this as part of the threats was a VISIT by a outside operative ...my debt was 1 year old and as far as i am aware i paid it off in instalments to a different company...as i said they dont want to listen....again anybody know their email address.
    thank you
  • 10past6
    10past6 Posts: 4,962 Forumite
    Hi francisco :hello:

Welcome to the forum, ask your sister to send the following letter to them:

Dear Sir/Madam

Account no:

You have contacted me regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by someone at this address.

I would point out that I have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to (insert company name).

I am familiar with the Office of Fair Trading Debt Collection Guidance which states that it unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. In not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

Furthermore ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

I would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my/our liability for the debt in question.

I await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to the trading standards department and consider informing the OFT of your actions.

I look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

(Your Name) Print do not sign

Never deal with DCA via email, ONLY AND ALWAYS IN WRITING

If you have any further issues, create your own thread, cross issues even with the same company only confuse the original thread ;)
    Click here for Martins (MSE) advice on who to contact with Debt Issues - YOU HAVE NO REASON TO USE A FEE PAYING DEBT MANAGEMENT COMPANY- THEY CANNOT DO ANYMORE FOR YOU THAN THOSE LISTED IN MY LINK ABOVE.

All information given by myself is offered informally and without prejudice - if in doubt seek help from a qualified and insured professional
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure