PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

baking beans

Comments

• pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,198 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    ive never had a problem with pastry bubbling ever... are you sure you're all making it right :D
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • soba
    soba Posts: 2,166 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I made some pastry a few weeks ago that I had to 'bake blind'. I'd got no baking beans so used some red lentils instead, which I cooled and put in a tub to use again. Now I've got a recipe for sausage patties which uses red lentils and they're the only ones I've got. Anyone know if they'd be ok to use? They look exactly the same as when I first tipped them out of the box.
    Thanks,
    soba
  • soba
    soba Posts: 2,166 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Please ignore above post, I've now found a pack of lentils in the cupboard.
  • LOL It would be worth knowing if you do decide to try to cook them! I imagine they'll be fine but maybe bigger beans would be too tough after baking them?
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • ellie2912
    ellie2912 Posts: 270 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I really want to make my own quiches. I’ve searched out some recipes to try but they all say to bake the pastry blind with “baking beans”
    Now i know what these are (well i have a rough idea anyway!) but does anyone know where i might be able to get some. i havent a clue.:o
    Hopefully someone will be able to point me in the right direction.
    Thanks in advance
    ellie
  • Hi, Wilkinsons sell tubs of ceramic baking beans for £2.99
    The good thing is, as they're ceramic you can use them again and again :)
  • I've seen them in my local Cargo, not sure how much though.
    Squares knitted for my throw ~ 90 (yes!!! I have finally finished it :rotfl: )
    Squares made for my patchwork quilt ~ 80 (only the "actual" quilting to do now :rotfl:)
  • Lakeland have them - click here.

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • I always use the kind of dried beans you usually soak and then cook. Any sort will do, red kidney,butter, any of that type. Put a circle of greaseproof paper on top of your pastry, cover with the beans, then bake. When youv'e finished and the beans have gone cold, store them in a jar for next time. They will last for ages!
  • moanymoany
    moanymoany Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    I go with powershopper. 250grs of the cheapest dried beans, store them after use and re-use them for ever. They just get harder and harder. They will cost about 30p

I often don't bother. If the pastry bubbles up I squash it down with a potato masher, always worked so far. :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure