Can I get any financial help towards my study course?

I am 19 years old, living with a friend and estranged from my family. I have recently finished a seasonal job, and am now claiming Job seekers allowance and may also be getting Housing Benefit in the near future.

I want to enroll on a Exercise To Music Fitness Instructor course which costs around £500, but have yet to save up the money for it.

I was wondering if anyone knew if I could get help towards paying for it because I'm unemployed?

Much appreciated. :)
Every Saint has a past. Ever Sinner has a future.

Comments

• PippaGirl_2
    PippaGirl_2 Posts: 2,218 Forumite
    Sometimes JCP help, worth asking your advisor.
    "Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them." Dalai Lama
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    What does this £500 course give you in the end?
    sounds more like a course that would be additional to the likes of PT qualifications
  • Dunroamin
    Dunroamin Posts: 16,908 Forumite
    It's very unlikely that you'd get any financial help for a course like this.
  • princessdon
    princessdon Posts: 6,902 Forumite
    That type of course is in an alterative schedule to the fundable stream, so you won't get any help with funding as it isn't classed as returning or giving skills to return to work.

You may be lucky with fuding from a charity, but not mainstream
  • BigAunty
    BigAunty Posts: 8,310 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    You could see if there are any charity grants available on the Turn2us benefit website as they have a grant checker, or ask on the student forum.

If you are interested in becoming a fitness instructor, which is often a self-employed career, look at the Princes Trust website as they help those under the age of 25 into self employment - grants, loans and mentoring.

It's a much more thorough approach, producin a business planning - marketing, insurance and so on, and not just about 'lets go on a course and fingers crossed perhaps I'll make some money from it'.

I live in Scotland which has a different educational system to the rest of the UK but my local colleges offer courses in sports/physical training.

Your other alternatives are to save up when you are next in employment or look into a career development loan.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure