Council Tax Rebanding SUCCESS stories

Comments

• Big_Al51
    Big_Al51 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Local Council: Ashfield
    Previous Band: E
    New Band: D

Thanks to Martin and the wake-up call in his article on reducing Council Tax. Thanks to reading this article I went through my old documents and lo and behold found that I had a valuation carried out in 1996 for a re-mortgage, which valued my property at £80,000. I was paying Band E which was for properties valued at £88,000 - £120,000 in 1991!

I contacted the valuation office as the article suggested. It has taken them 6 weeks to deal with the re-banding, but about half an hour ago I heard that my property was going to be moved to a Band D. Not only that, but I am due for a refund of all money overpaid since 1993. A great result. Thanks again Martin.

I don't know how much the refund will amount to but it will certainly be helpful.

UPDATE:- From Ashfield Council today

Your refund has been actioned and you will receive a cheque within the next two weeks in the sum of £2280.94.

Keep up the good work.

Regards

Big Al
  • Local Borough Council - Shrewsbury & Atcham Borough Council
    Band before change -E
    Band after change - D
    Amount Refunded -£1775.43

We had a lovely surprise last June when my mothers' neighbour told her to expect a refund and rebanding of council tax band for the style of house we live in. My parents also have the same style house on a newish housing estate and her neighbour works for the land registry. We had 71/2 years of over payments refunded as a cheque and didn't have to make any more payments for the rest of this financial year. In total we saved £1775.43. My parents had slightly less refunded as they had not been there as long as us.
    Good fortune is never permanent though as we then had a request to payback child tax credit overpayment, but it wasn't very much so can't complain really.
    No reliance should be placed on the above.
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Local Council: North Wilts
    Band Before: G
    Band After: F
    Refund: £2600

Was already living in house when CT introduced, never even crossed my mind that 100% identical house next door would be different Band.
    Discovered this after reading cases on MSE, just being nosey and seeing what other people's Bands were (Live in a village, with very few houses the same).
    Wrote to local VOA office saying that I was one band higher than the identical house next door - VOA said I should have appealed within 6 months of the valuation in 1991.
    Wrote back saying, amongst other things, that it was not realistic for me to check all the other CT valuations in my village to see if mine was correct. They rejected this - which I then appealed against. I then received notice to attend a Valuation Tribunal to argue my case. However, before I attended the Tribunal, I received notification that my Band had been changed from G to F, as a result of a "clerical or valuation error".
    I then phoned my local Council who said they would refund the overpayment back to '93. THEN - they sent me about half the overpayment, the cheeky b*****s had helped themselves to the rest of the current year's CT in advance !!!! despite the fact that I always paid monthly.
    After a meaningfull telephone call, they sent me the rest.

Although the VOA rejected my request and my appeal, they were actually very helpful in telling me what to do next. The final letter from them amused me because it informed me that the change in banding had been done as result of a "Notice of Alteration", not as a result of my appeal. I then had to inform the Tribunal Office that I was not proceeding with my appeal.

In the end a good result !
  • Local Council: Adur
    Band Before: D
    Band After: C
    Refund: £1150 (approx)

Hi all you moneysavers!

I looked at this article and wasn't sure it would work for me, but gave it a try online. In my street, all were valued in band D except for 2 houses at the end of the street that challenged in 1993 and were reduced to band C.

My online challenge was answered rapidly with the reply that it was an invalid proposal (as I had been in the property more than 6 months). I was advised that I could challenge but must provide further evidence. Downhearted, I thought that I would gather some really good evidence / pictures / plans etc. but put it off for a few weeks because I was busy. The morning I was going to go out and complete the report, I received a letter notifying me of my new council tax band and another telling me I had a large refund.... and how did I want my money!

Don't be shy........ just go for it.

I love this site! Now to shaft the banks!!!

I hope that this helps someone.

Kind Regards
  • Local Borough Council: Tewkesbury
    Council Tax Band Before: E
    Council Tax Band After: D
    Amount refunded: £128 + wipe off remaining liability for financial year (£300)

We were in the house less than 6 months when we called the local council CT office about the banding (as we thought it was high compared to the locality) and were promptly told there was "nothing we could do about it as it had always been the same band", so I initially gave up. Then I found the CT trail on MSE and approached the VOA - however I had now been in the house > 6months and was rejected on that grounds. I wrote back with evidence of my telco to the local council and with valuation evidence from the Nationwide BS website and they said that this was not good enough proof but that they would send an officer to evaulate the property as long as I did not contest their decision. I wrote back to say that I would contest (just in case, and because others on MSE did this) but in the end they sent a VOA officer and agreed that I was mis-classified. I got a refund of £128 for the previous part-year and had to pay no more for the current year. Result.

I think that this will stand me in good stead even when the revaluation comes in 2007/2008 but we shall see!

Thanks to Martin and MSE subscribers!
  • Local Council Adur /West Sussex
    Council Tax Band before G
    Council Tax Band after F
    Amount refunded £1500

Greetings,

saw the tip in Martin's weekly email and thought I'd take a look. Neighbours houses on both sides are similar if not larger than hours, and all were band F.
    Called the council and explained the situation, and was told that because we had not reported within six months of moving in, we were not entitled to appeal. Pressed the issues saying "i have it on VERY good authority that I am entitled to a revaluation" and was put through to someone else who said, ah yes, you can have a review but not an appeal. Don't you just love the civil service?

Gave our details and got an encouraging initial reception that it looked like we had a case. About six weeks later we got a letter saying the review had been successful, and we had been lowered from G to F, a saving of £300 per annum at current rates.

Chased up the council tax department (as they issue the refunds on the valuers say-so) and shortly afterwards received notice of a refund totalling about £1500 dating back to 2002 (including the cancellation of future payments for this year.)

The previous owner of the property prior to 2002 also got a refund of about £600, although probably hasn't the faintest idea why as the remittance advice came to our address!

Was hoping to be on Martin's TV prog but will watch it with interest - I expect the councils won't know what's hit them after it airs!

Cheers

PN

PS Martin is my hero!
  • Local Council: South Staffordshire
    Banding Before: E
    Banding After: D

Saw the tip in Martin's weekly email and thought I'd take a look. Neighbours houses are similar if not larger than ours, and all were band D.
    Wrote to the council and explained the situation, and was informed that because we had not reported this within six months of moving in, we were not entitled to appeal. Replied to this letter stating that had we know the situation we would have appealed, we pressed the issues saying "We have it on VERY good authority that We are entitled to a revaluation". The next letter we recived was on informing us we were to go to a hearing for re banding in Feb 2007. Two weeks later we recived a letter from South Staffs council stating our property had been rebanded. On contacting the council we were informed we would be reimbursed the difference since we move in to the property in 2002 and a cheque would be posted to us. this has been very greatfully recived... over £1000.

We will be watching with interest on Friday - Many Many thanks to Martin.
  • Narla
    Narla Posts: 188 Forumite
    Local Council - South Ribble
    Banding before - E
    Banding after - D
    Amount refunded - not sure because a cheque went to the previous owner - who was thrilled.

Four years ago my family moved into this property. Within six months I queried the banding and an officer was sent to evaluate the property. Shortly afterwards I received a letter saying I was unsucessful but stating I could appeal the decision. I also received notice to attend a Valuation Tribunal to argue my case and was asked to consider withdrawing my appeal. I didn't withdraw my appeal nor attend the tribunal - thinking that I couldn't win. Soon afterwards I received a letter stating the Band was changed to D and the previous owners would be sent the overpayments they had made since 1993.
  • Local Borough Council:South Somerset
    Council Tax Band Before:Band F
    Council Tax Band After:Band E
    Amount refunded:£2,570
    Secured the lower banding back dated to 1st April 1993, what a result; I can hardly believe it.
    I did not expect to be successful as I had originally objected to the allocated banding back in 1993, which was rejected.
    This time, my main point was to quote the similar sized houses within and adjacent to my postcode that were in the lower band (I got the details from the voa/gov website) with my next door neighbour in a similar style house being the one a spoke about when I got to chat with the Valuation Officer at County Hall. I had a fallback point that I did not have to use, that the house was significantly devalued by being declared by the D of E as being in a flood plain area. (that of course would apply to next door as well, but I reckoned that it just about qualified as a reason to ask for a review)
    When the re-banding was confirmed in writing, the reason was quoted as original banding wrongly allocated by administrative or clerical mistake.
    Good luck to all Money Savers...don't forget to try the Flight Checker!!!!
  • Thank you Martin, it worked for me!
    Local Borough Council:South Somerset
    Council Tax Band Before:Band F
    Council Tax Band After:Band E
    Amount refunded:£2,570
    Secured the lower banding back dated to 1st April 1993, what a result; I can hardly believe it.
    I did not expect to be successful as I had originally objected to the allocated banding back in 1993, which was rejected.
    This time, my main point was to quote the similar sized houses within and adjacent to my postcode that were in the lower band (I got the details from the voa/gov website) with my next door neighbour in a similar style house being the one a spoke about when I got to chat with the Valuation Officer at County Hall. I had a fallback point that I did not have to use, that the house was significantly devalued by being declared by the D of E as being in a flood plain area. (that of course would apply to next door as well, but I reckoned that it just about qualified as a reason to ask for a review)
    When the re-banding was confirmed in writing, the reason was quoted as original banding wrongly allocated by administrative or clerical mistake.
    Good luck to all Money Savers...don't forget to try the Flight Checker!!!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback