Cancelling Orange Contract early, best way to do it?

Hi

First post here !

I am currently on a £35 a month contract with Orange, and I got a N 95 which I sold , and have ended up with a rubbish phone due to me selling and swapping them so often!

Now I want the iPhone, but I am still under contract. And i want to know how to get out of it, now i have been told there a few ways.

But first i need to know when the 18 months runs out, it was activated on the 23rd April 07. Now it is 18 months, but i don't know if i pay a month in advance from the word go or something like that etc

Now i know you can cancell it and pay the rest of your contract off, but is there a way to strike a deal as such with them to pay 50% Back etc or something along those lines

Any help is appreciated!

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    They won't do a deal to let you out early (why should they?). However, Orange will let you downgrade your tariff to a cheaper one. If you really want to cancel, get it downgraded as far as you can before giving notice to cancel. That will make the early termination fee lower than if you just cancel now.

Your 18 months starts the date you are connected to the network.
  • Quentin wrote: »
    They won't do a deal to let you out early (why should they?). However, Orange will let you downgrade your tariff to a cheaper one. If you really want to cancel, get it downgraded as far as you can before giving notice to cancel. That will make the early termination fee lower than if you just cancel now.

Your 18 months starts the date you are connected to the network.

I thought that, but someone told me they had a deal as such.

Right I will give them a ring, how much you think i can downgrade them to?
  • Quentin
    They let you go down one step at a time. £20 is the lowest.
    They let you go down one step at a time. £20 is the lowest.
    Right, so I can't just say i want to downgrade to £20?
  • Quentin
    Worth a try - check whether they will allow stepped downgrades as they may only permit the one.
    Worth a try - check whether they will allow stepped downgrades as they may only permit the one.
    Ah

Well I may ring them up now, or wait till my mum is home. She is good at things like this.
  • Jvic28
    Jvic28 Posts: 1,596 Forumite
    How long before you can downgrade. I'm also in an 18 month contract but have been disconnected for a few months.

x
    DMP Mutual Support Thread Member No 190
    17/05/08 - Total on DMP: £10025.70
    07/05/14 - Total on DMP: £1666.20 DFD: July 2017!!
    Baby Tomos born 5th June 2009 - 6lb 5oz :j
    Weight Loss Target - to lose 60.8lb by NYE 2015 - 37.6lb TO GO
  • Quentin
    They may not allow it if you have been disconnected for some breach of your contract.

Normally you can downgrade 9 months into an 18 month contract.
  • proplusplus
    proplusplus Posts: 441 Forumite
    1/2 way through 18-mths and you can drop one price bracket. lowest (non-promotional) tariff is £20.

You can then but-ouy your contract with a 17.5% reduction (i.e you pay no VAT)

So if you reduced from a £40 tariff to a £35/mth tariff you will pay x x (£35 - 17.5%)

so (e.g) 10mths remaining = 10 x 29.78 = £297.80 buy-out charge.

proplusplus
    Information provided is offered as a guide, and should not be deemed to be 100% accurate/correct. Please verify with the appropriate company/legislation for confirmation. Always seek verification to ensure you do not encounter future problems!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure