PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Help....My jam won't set

Comments

• horsechestnut
    horsechestnut Posts: 1,446 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Get the book "Home Preservation of Fruit and Vegetables" a HMSO publication.
    All you need to know about jams and other preserves and easy to follow.
  • freyasmum
    freyasmum Posts: 20,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I cooked mine ever-so-slightly too long, and it's, ahem, very well set :A

It was all completely intentional of course... :whistle:

Maybe you need to add some more pectin? Either by way of jam sugar (which is actually cheaper than granulated, per kg) or adding a fruit which is high in it.
  • Gironde_Gal
    Gironde_Gal Posts: 27 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for those tips. I usually test with the 'plate in the freezer' method. My book also states that if you miss the setting point, ie cook it for slightly too long, then you have missed the boat and it won't set at all, which doesn't give me much confidence. Not sure that we can get jam sugar here, but I'll have another look.
  • Mrs_Cupier
    Mrs_Cupier Posts: 87 Forumite
    I have always understood that if you miss the setting point on marmalade, yes, you've had it. But with jam, once you're there, you're there, and if you keep boiling, it keeps stiffening, until it won't come out of the jar (like the disastrous Dried Apricot Jam experiment).

If you're not happy using the cold-saucer test, you could buy a jam thermometer (mine was about a fiver in John Lewis), although I've never had good results with it.

If you're short on pectin, add apples to the jam, or lemon juice.

Margeurite Pattern is pretty reliable, which fruit were you trying use? From my own experience, damson jam sets very quickly (3 minutes), blackberry and gooseberry can take up to 15 minutes. Are you boiling for long enough, or panicking you'll miss setting point and stopping too soon.

I hope you manage to find an answer, home made jam is one of the great joys in life (the small Cupiers now refuse any other kind of damson jam. :D )
  • Gironde_Gal
    Gironde_Gal Posts: 27 Forumite
    You must all think I'm nurotic - or a rubbish cook! Last year we had runny rhubarb jam, runny plum jam, runny fig jam, runny blackberry jam... then they don't keep and go mouldy.

Does it really set that quick? Sometimes I have it boiling 1/2 an hour and still no apparent set so I give up and put it in the jars.

Perhaps one of you would fancy a free holiday chez moi and I can have a master class :D
  • freyasmum
    freyasmum Posts: 20,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    You must all think I'm nurotic - or a rubbish cook! Last year we had runny rhubarb jam, runny plum jam, runny fig jam, runny blackberry jam... then they don't keep and go mouldy.

Does it really set that quick? Sometimes I have it boiling 1/2 an hour and still no apparent set so I give up and put it in the jars.

Perhaps one of you would fancy a free holiday chez moi and I can have a master class :D
    I had my jam on for ages!

It had at least an hour from starting till it was ready.

I'll book my ticket right now :D
  • Chell
    Chell Posts: 1,683 Forumite
    I'm just making jam that is refusing to set, looks like we will be having lots of strawberry sponge puddings then!
    Nevermind the dog, beware of the kids!
  • moneypooh
    moneypooh Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    The only strawberry jam that recently set was with fruit we picked at a PYO. They actually had a variety especially for making jam that has higher natural pectin levels. Worked a treat!!
    Certo is also available at most Tescos (even in our local express) - sugar aisle again - never got on with it though. If it fails to set, it does make a perfect sauce.:T

My children actually want me to make some 'failed' raspberrry jam as last year I ran out of sugar and 2 x pots worth couldn't be made properly. :rotfl:
  • charlies_mum
    charlies_mum Posts: 8,118 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I am making plum jam using 2 lbs plums and 1 kg of jam sugar and have had it boiling for ages, but it won't thicken.

Any idea what I can do as it tastes lovely
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D
  • moanymoany
    moanymoany Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    Stop boiling it and put some on plate . Leave it for half an hour and see if it sets. If not boil again.

After the opposite problem - jam like toffee - I invested £5.99 in a sugar thermometer - brilliant!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure