When is DLA backdated from?

I won my DLA appeal yesterday and was awarded low rate mobility and low rate care. i first applied for DLA in April 2010 and my claim was rejected and an appeal has taken until now which is 16mnths in total. can anyone please tell me when the money is backdated from? is it the date of application or the date of the application was rejected? I have also been told it can only be backdated for 1 year. is this true?
Many thanks.

Comments

• no-oneknowsme
    no-oneknowsme Posts: 1,955 Forumite
    The award will be back dated right back to the day you applied for DLA.

My Daughter used to receive DLA and we had to attend a tribunal to get her award as they kept turning her down.

In the end , after the tribunal , the award was back dated to the very day we applied , which was quite some time.

I have never heard about it only being back dated one year.

I dont know your circumstances but if you receive tax credits dont forget to let them know that you are now receiving DLA .
    The loopy one has gone :j
  • Anubis_2
    Anubis_2 Posts: 4,077 Forumite
    It will be backdated from the date of the claim. No-oneknowsme is this a new rule?
    How people treat you becomes their karma; how you react becomes yours.
  • no-oneknowsme
    Anubis wrote: »
    It will be backdated from the date of the claim. No-oneknowsme is this a new rule?

Is WHAT a new rule?
  • The award will be back dated right back to the day you applied for DLA.

My Daughter used to receive DLA and we had to attend a tribunal to get her award as they kept turning her down.

In the end , after the tribunal , the award was back dated to the very day we applied , which was quite some time.

I have never heard about it only being back dated one year.

I dont know your circumstances but if you receive tax credits dont forget to let them know that you are now receiving DLA .

no i don't receive tax credits, i have no dependents. Thank you for your help, i'v heard so many different stories but not from anyone who actually gets DLA. I'm not sure about this "only backdated a year" thing, just something i heard someone say. Thanks for your help once again :T
  • Anubis wrote: »

Thanks for your help, just checked on the DWP website and it is not mentioned that it can only be backdated for a year so i'm hoping it's not the case :T
  • rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    Thanks for your help, just checked on the DWP website and it is not mentioned that it can only be backdated for a year so i'm hoping it's not the case :T

The award of DLA isn't really 'backdated' - the tribunal re-makes the original decision, as if the original decision-maker had decided the other way at the time.
    So, it's not a case of paying you backdated payment of DLA, it's a case of paying you the DLA you should have been getting all along, but they haven't paid you.
  • Anubis_2
    Anubis_2 Posts: 4,077 Forumite

Sorry this - is this a new rule? DLA is not means tested, does this mean more tax credits are awarded on the basis of recieving DLA?
    How people treat you becomes their karma; how you react becomes yours.
  • Aarons_mummy
    Aarons_mummy Posts: 961 Forumite
    Sorry this - is this a new rule? DLA is not means tested, does this mean more tax credits are awarded on the basis of recieving DLA?

I think there's a disability premium added on for tax credits.
    Credit Card: £796 Left/£900 October 2011 :eek:
    Store Card: £100 October 2011 :o
    Declutter 100 Things In January 100/100:j:beer:
    No Buying Toiletries 2012
  • no-oneknowsme

Yes I am aware that DLA is not means tested however when you are receiving certain levels of DLA AND tax credits then you will be entitled to more money in your tax credit award in the form of a disability premium. This disability premium is usually only backdated 3 months but CAN be backdated right to the beginning of your DLA claim if you appeal.
  • funfunder
    funfunder Posts: 46 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My child's DLA was recently settled after appeals. The payment was paid from the orginal claim which like yours was April 2010. Good luck
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure